The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 03:55 PM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about
Default What if there's no hatch?

Hey all,

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this topic so I apologize if this is a repeat.

I'm a noob too, so please be patient if this is a dumb question.

First the story: I went up to the Poudre River in Northern Colorado today and the river was baren of life as far as I could tell. I saw a few hoppers and butterflies but no stones, mayflies, or caddis. I turned over rocks... nothing. More rocks... nothing. Finally I saw a caddis in it's little house of rocks, but that was it. It was a mild day, probably in the high 60's or low 70's.

The water was kinda yellowish from a runoff I guess. And there were a bunch of kayakers and rafters.

So, my question is what do you tie on when there's no hatch? I didn't see a fish in the water, and didn't see any fish rising. I tried eddies, riffles, rapids. I tried dries and nymphs. Caddis nymphs and dries, mayfly nymphs and dries etc... Nothing.

All in all a pretty frustrating day considering it's a 4 hour round trip to get to the Poudre from my house.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:06 PM

evan_aff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What if there's no hatch?

When in doubt, I throw streamers... I actually throw streamers when I'm not in doubt as well.
Davo and tbblom like this.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:07 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd use a Wooly Bugger, Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear, and even a Green Weenie if there wasn't anything on the surface. While there are LOTS of sub-surface flies, these are the ones I use most of the time...because they work.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi BGP,

I will offer pictures and a link to something I wrote here on the forum about fishing streamers in less than perfect conditions. Since you are new you probably are not tying really fancy streamers. My brown trout streamer was 'The Answer' named aptly. If you could find a source for the streamer known as the 'Dark Spruce' it will work very well as it always did for me.

This links you to something you may find of use; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...onditions.html

This is a feather wing streamer, it is pictured dry in the vise and wet as it looks when swimming through the creeks and rivers. I have always relied on feather wings as my streamers. if I can find an on-line seller who has Dark Spruce flies for sale I'll PM you the web site.

The Answer;

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

When you get around to tying flies you can find a step by step tutorial in the Fly Tying Forum that our own Pocono did for streamers a while back. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll sort you out OK? The fly I tie is something I came up with quite a few years back for brown trout fishing. There is actually a thread somewhere that explains how it came about and how well it worked.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-14-2012, 05:16 PM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about

Streamers... huh, ok that makes sense. I guess I gotta go buy a few of those.

Thanks Ard. I really appreciate all your help.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:20 PM

evan_aff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguitarplayer View Post
Streamers... huh, ok that makes sense. I guess I gotta go buy a few of those.

Thanks Ard. I really appreciate all your help.
No need to get too scientific. Grab various woolly buggers and things of that nature. After a while, you'll start being more adventurous as your confidence builds.
bassguitarplayer likes this.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_aff View Post
No need to get too scientific. Grab various woolly buggers and things of that nature. After a while, you'll start being more adventurous as your confidence builds.
I also need to buy more flies. HAHA
Old 05-14-2012, 05:50 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

There are ALWAYS bugs in the water.

I fished the poudre all through college and all year round.

prince nymphs, hare's ears and pheasant tails are all productive patterns. Just because there is no hatch, or you don't see a lot of bugs under rocks doesn't mean it's dead.

Considering the time of year, I would try san juans (run off season...) and maybe even start with an egg pattern. Even though the spawn is over for the bows, they still remember what eggs are and will still take them.

Another thing is to pick a productive stretch of water. Fish won't hold up in every piece of water available. They will want to be away from predators and anything that scares them. (kayakers, swimmers, fisherman...)

If you're driving 4 hours to fish the poudre, you're going to the wrong piece of water...where are you located? I'm sure there's a place that's closer or even the same distance that will be much more productive than the poudre. Not that it's a bad piece of water...but it isn't the best fishery in the state. The big Thompson in my opinion is 10x better and it's just another 30 min drive up the canyon.
tbblom likes this.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:19 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Try an ant, beetle, or hopper, then drop a zebra midge off of it. There should be terrestrials out by now. milt.
Davo likes this.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:41 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguitarplayer View Post
I also need to buy more flies. HAHA
Dont feel bad, I went up to RMNP Saturday fished 6 hours saw nothing when seining except a few and I mean a few midges. I ran every fly I had , varying weights etc etc, move holes every few minutes if unsuccessful. Finally at last I thought heck with it and tied on a dry.....bam but of course I missed him.

Still had a beautiful day in the rain , almost had RMNP all to myself due to weather , talk about quiet and peaceful....almost eerily quiet

Besides the hot blonde runner girl in Yoga pantsand a jog bra who insisted on chatting me up in the parkinglot
bassguitarplayer likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson