The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2007, 11:01 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Barbless hooks for required areas....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
All wild Trout or wild Steelhead should be released if we want to sustain the fishery.
Frank,

I think the trout STARMedic is referring to are annually-stocked. I may be wrong here, but I don't think any freshwater trout here in Texas - even in the cooler Hill Country - can survive the summer heat. With that in mind, it does seem pointless to require barbless hooks when a C&R regime isn't in effect. Sounds to me like some mindless bureaucracy at work here . . .

Neil
Old 12-11-2007, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Neil,

You are probably right about the Texas trout but my comment on wild fish still stands. I do understand that some trout fisheries don't have any wild trout and that is too bad. I would think there is a tail water fishery somewhere down there in TeXes.

In some places (California) planted trout have become the food of choice for bass. That is one way they are growing those giant bass on the left coast.

Frank
Old 12-12-2007, 02:15 PM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice

Every hook on my boat is barbless. We release all our fish... but I'm more concerned with releasing me and the people fishing with me than the fish. Ben there and done that... too many times. "Happyness is a client that knows how to cast."

Aloha,
Stan
Old 12-12-2007, 04:39 PM

STARMedic is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. The trout fishing I was mentioning was in relation to the THCRR's annual Trout Days festival. And after attending, learning tons, and having a blast, have been able to get wrapped around the concept. The barbless requirement was put in place as a contest requirement due to the ability of the fishers to either catch and release, or catch and keep, with winners being determined based on most total weight accumulated over the fishing days.

This was the 2nd annual Trout Days Festival put on by the Texas Hill Country River Region. I was surprised to find that registration for this event was free, which included some free schwag like t shirts.....just cant beat free t shirts....cept with free beer.....along with the free t shirts, there was a complimentary bbq, large campfire with entertainment provided by The Cowboy Poets, and of course......FREE BEER!!!!!!!

In addition I wanted to go out and not look like a complete buffoon, so I asked some questions, like.....What flies should I bring when fishing for trout born and raised in captivity.....?

The responses were varied from the usual "Match the hatch. cause the trout will quickly adapt to whatever is hatching" to "Brown and other dark Woolly Boogers to match the primary food source in captivity....food pellets...."

Come to find that the largest 'Bow was caught by a female with a spincast rig standing a scant 50 yards from me, on...........wait for it........a salmon egg artificial........who would have thought....lol.....

In addition to the rainbows there were also plenty of large mouth bass and guadeloupe bass as well....

It was a good time, met some really cool people, met one or two who take life a lil bit too seriously, work on my casting, fishing, river reading, and primitive camping skill set....

Take care,

Bruce
Old 12-12-2007, 07:41 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Never been to one of these, although frankly I've thought of it as a good way to put some meat on the table since these are all stockers. When I've fished stocked trout in the past, salmon eggs were the preferred "go-to", and it sounds like that hasn't changed. Did you actually fly-fish this, since spinners always seem to have the advantage at stocked events like this?
Old 12-12-2007, 10:00 PM

STARMedic is on a distinguished road

Yes I brought both my fly rods and my spincast rigs as well. The g/f used the spincast rig while I stuck to fly. It was a learning experience for sure and it seemed that the spincasters had the definite advantage. For the most part at the final weigh in it seemed that the final catch didnt match the numbers of released, so with that in mind I plan to return the upcoming weekends and see what I can do....

Just for the record the SJ worms are very productive with bass.....

Bruce