Rod cases

roejankill

Reaction score
After searching 15 pages of gear related threads and not finding the answer that suits me, I'll try here.

I'm a beginner with a 6wt. 9' two piece rod.
I would like a case for it.

Which do you prefer?
Aluminum tube, cordura-pvc or the rod reel combo case.

Of course I want to do everything with it. Hike, air travel, etc.
How many of you keep the rod lined(rigged?) in the rod reel case.

Allen, SA, Cabella, Orvis, Filson?

Thanks.

L

Liphookedau

I have many different ones mainly which have come with the Rods :Talon,Loomis,TFO,Stalker,Powell & Sage Tubes in Aluminium & Cordura,plus 2 Sage which will also take The Reels as well as a few made from Poly mainly for just throwing into a Vehicle to travel.
It doesn't what you use travelling on planes unless you either pack it or carry it you can bet it will be damaged
Brian

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Two piece rods are not very air travel friendly. That kind of explains why four piece rods rule the market.

I pack my rod on how I am going to travel.

Car: Most of the time, I just use the tube that the rod came in. Sometimes I use a double rod/reel case that is made for two piece rods. Since my rods are four piece models, I only have one joint unferruled.

Plane: I have an old G Loomis rolling bag that has three built in rod tubes. If I need to carry more than three rods, I can fit standard sized rod tubes in the main compartment.

Backpacking: I just use the tube that the rod came with.

I rarely keep my rods rigged in the rod/reel case.

Dennis

silver creek

Reaction score
I would get two rod cases. One is for travel and holds 3 to 4 4pc fly rods. This is a DB Dunn but you can DIY with PVC.

The other is a double rod/reel case that will hold two 2 pc. fly rods with both reels attached. I keep these in my SUV. Get the ones that are long enough to hold two piece rods. I keep my 4 pc rods already lined up, with fly line and fly threaded on the rod. I wind the fly to the tip top guide, break the rod at the middle ferrule and store it in the rod/reel case. Then I can simple put the rod back together at the river and I am ready to fish. No need to line the rod or even put on a lfy. Just put the rod together, pull out the fly and leader and fish.

I keep a 6, 5, 4 and 3 wt rod and reels with me, strung up and ready to fish.

dhayden

Reaction score
I use the same type as Silver Creek.. the blue one. The reels almost never come off, and I can leave them rigged in the case

Leaving them rigged.. I'm always a little nervous if I have multiple flies... I'm always thinking one of those flies could get hung up deep in the case.. hasn't happened yet.. but beaware..

Maker I don't have a preference.. DB Dunn, Orvis, Cabelas. Recently my wife got a new reel, it would only fit in some of the cases, 1st time we've had that issue.

Flying we have a 4 compartment travel case.

I see lots of people flying into Bozeman with 2 piece rod cases.. not an issue here at all

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I am totally old school and there's just no changing that at this point. Almost all 2 & 3 piece rods are in aluminum tubes. Matter of fact I just ordered a 57.5" long X 2.5" diameter tube for a Spey rod. REC Technology is a leading supplier of rod tubes. You can get whatever you want from plain finish to powder coated with fancy caps and fittings.

I don't let travel interfere with my getting a really good rod that was only available in 2 piece 30 years ago. When I travel I ship the rods in their tubes inside cardboard tubes. I just sent 4 rods to Pennsylvania 2 weeks ago ahead of a flight that leaves tomorrow. Cost for shipping all rods & reels - fly boxes and etc. was 78 dollars. So.............. when I travel I know the gear is already at the other end and I travel very light.

Your rod is probably 4 piece or more but as you grow into this you may find that someday you'll want an old 8' 2 Pc. rod so try to remember the people who make the tubes. I know that you can make a tube from Home Depot PVC for cheap but I just don't roll that way :shades:

Here's another one that will give some folks chills. The only times I leave reels on my rods is when I am transporting them in the rod rack in the boat or on the truck moving along a river. All of the rest of the time I put those reels in the case that came with and the rods in their tubes. This was how I started, this became part of fishing; rigging up your rod and reel were just as much a part as the first cast.

That doesn't mean you should do that! You will find your own traditions I would hope and you'll one day be closing the gap on being sixty years old and be set in your ways like I am :) I will PM the link for the tube company.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

pa dave

Reaction score
I favor aluminum, but I don't limit myself to that. I have them for the first rod I ever built and the most recent on. I keep my eyes open for them at shows and whatever and so far have not had to spend over $15 for one. Most of my rods are in the cordura covered ones simply because they are easier to find at a decent price. If you go with aluminum, you need a rod sock to go with it. They are simple to sew if you have access to a sewing machine. I use my wife's 70 year old Domestic for the job.

stanbiker

Reaction score
I prefer the aluminum tubes, especially since the cordura covered models don't fit the rod holder pockets in my fishing pack! (I think they are better protected in the aluminum tubes, regardless of the pack)

Noiso

Reaction score
My first rod was built for me by a friend. He sewed up a cool plaid sock for it too. He had me build my own rod tube with instructions to buy a piece of pvc pipe and one cap and one threaded cap. easy, custom fit and cheap.

The other is a double rod/reel case that will hold two 2 pc. fly rods with both reels attached. I keep these in my SUV. Get the ones that are long enough to hold two piece rods. I keep my 4 pc rods already lined up, with fly line and fly threaded on the rod. I wind the fly to the tip top guide, break the rod at the middle ferrule and store it in the rod/reel case. Then I can simple put the rod back together at the river and I am ready to fish. No need to line the rod or even put on a fly. Just put the rod together, pull out the fly and leader and fish. I keep a 6, 5, 4 and 3 wt rod and reels with me, strung up and ready to fish.
Very cool!
I think I want to get one or two of those double rod/reel cases. I tend to be very slow and careful when rigging up, mostly because I hate rushing - it kills the mood and point of the whole thing! Certain of my fishing buddies disagree and end up having to wait for me, this will give me a head start, even if I decide to switch flies at the river for some reason.

shotgunfly

Reaction score
I've got the carbon fiber tubes that came with the helios rods and the superfine touch. Both fend off scuffs and scratch lightly but I can see them cracking/chipping if dropped a fair distance off concrete/pavement. They are by far the lightest option for me.

I ended up getting a single rod cordura case that allows the reel to stay on, complete with removable shoulder strap—Orvis. It saves some time and I have put the rod in while rig'd up. But it's pretty heavy compared to the tubes. And the odd shape makes it impossible to put through tube loops on my bags. I use the case with reel on and rig'd up when I'm fishing a local spring creek—when I take a small chest pack and boots (can't get in the water) to fish it.

On bass boating/kayaking trips when I'm taking 2-3 rods and lots of flies I take tubes and leave em in the car after I've rig'd up and put em on the boat. Rod tubes rolling around on a boat can create some exciting moments.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I haven't read all the responses, forgive me. My preference is emphatic: the combo case! I have a double that holds my two go-to rods, a 4wt and 6wt. They are broken down in half (the 4 piece can go in a separate case for travel) and always strung. It is the way to go, in my opinion. Why risk leaving your reel behind (which I've done!) or have to put it on every time and then string a rod if you don't have to?

O, and I don't really care what the material is as long as it is protective on the outside and has some lining on the inside. Cheapest is best! It's a rod tube!

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

This is my small travel/packing case!

ak allen

Reaction score
Long trips:

If traveling by plane, I would get the Filson case. It holds 4 rods in tubes. And I would keep the reels in my carry on.

If traveling by car, I would do the same but the reels go into the pockets on the case.

Short/day trips:

I use a cordura case that allows the reel to remain attached. I also prefer 4 piece rods, they fit in a shorter case, which is on my back as I work my way down the river.

All in all, I love Filson stuff, after it is bought. I hate the prices, but I still buy it knowing it will last.

pa dave

Reaction score
I have to add that my cordura covered pvc tube for my saltwater 8wt saved a week at the shore for me. My back went out and without that tube (for a 9' 2-piece) to use as a walking support, I would have spent my week sitting in a chair. I don't think my aluminum would have had that much traction. :)

JoJer

Reaction score
I also have the double case for my go-to 4 and 6 wt, though I put the line/leader back on the reel and the flys in the dry box. I made a pair of hooks and it hangs level above my coat rack. It's probably ten years old, a "BW Sports" brand. One of the zippers just went south.
I have a stack of DIY PVC tubes I've made over the years but when I used them, the reels ended up in my vest pockets (so I wouldn't forget them) and that ain't a good way to go.

cockatouche

Reaction score
Once you figure out what you want, hit the pawn shops. ( If you don't go with Rip Tide's idea )

fisher46

Reaction score
Pvc works great. Its not pretty, but its strong. The Orvis travel suitcase is awesome. I got the larger one that accommodates switch and spey. I've got 5 rods and 10ish reels and spools in it. A bit pricey, I thought at first but now I love it.:punk:
Everything is in one place which cuts down on the possibility to forget something. Living in Cali. you can come across a lot of different types of water on a road trip.

fishnskiguy

Reaction score
Since I like to display my rods in this rod holder I built this last winter, I prefer to show them in aluminum tubes. The exception is the carbon case for my Orvis Helios in the front left and the paper tube that my Wright & McGill Granger bamboo rod came in, front right. The tube is paper because the rod was made during World War II and aluminum was reserved for aircraft manufacturing.

Chris

stl_geoff

Reaction score
I like the rod/reel combo cases. Ever since I started getting the Sage rod they come with the rod/reel cases. Im very much in favor of these cases now. I bought another one for my Ross rod that I just bought. I do have the aluminum tube that my TCX came in, and I cant bring myself to get rid of that or not use it.