The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 04:23 PM

two_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the rough
Default Looking for a short, 5 wt.

I had been in the market for a short (7 ft) 3 wt to fish some more tree covered streams, but am now thinking that with my style of fishing ( 2 nymps, with weight and strike indicator) that a 5 wt would be a better choice. Does anybody have any recommendations for some brands and models to look at? Money is also a limiting factor. A quality combo for around 150-175 would be great, but if that's not possible, I could probably drop a little more. Give me some ideas. Also, I thin a slow action would be required, as I do a lot of roll casting and chuck and duck type of casts.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:39 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a short, 5 wt.

One short 5 wt I know of is Albright Fly Fish's GPX rod which has a 4/5 7'6" rod on sale right now for $113. You could get one of their topwater reels for $22 which keeps you under $150. I've only used their topwater rod so don't have any experience with the GPX, but it is a shorter 5wt.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Given the roll casting need, you might not want to go so short. Stubby rods don't roll cast as well.

I'd give TFO's 7'9" 5wt Finesse a look.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:53 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I have a 6'6" 5wt Grey's GRXI+ I purchased this winter. A decent rod for the money (about $150), but in reality very limited in it's ability/uses.
Casting distance is noticeably limited (both overhead & roll casting) when comparing it to a longer (8-9') rod.
I have a few places I fish where it fits the situations frequently encountered, but for most fishing there are better choices available in my arsenal of rods.

(I would part with it for a reasonable price offer if you really want a short 5wt - PM me if interested)
Old 05-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Yep, I've got a 6'9" 5wt I think of the same way.

For general purposes, I think 7'6" is about as short as is useful.

The exception is when you're fishing this-

Click the image to open in full size.

for these-

Click the image to open in full size.

But then why grab a 5wt?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:18 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Way off the beaten path, but if you are looking for a slower action, inexpensive, decent rod for the money, I wouild recomment a WW Griggs vintage glass (heritage series) rod. Its an 8ft 5 wt. I have the 8'6" 5 wt I bought at sportsman's warehourse and it is one of my favorite rods. They can be had for about $60 bucks but you have to order them online these days. Mine came with a little reel on it, can't remember the brand, but I didnt liek the reel much so it now sits in my gear bag as a backup reel)

If the reel does not come with it anymore, and you need a combo, throw a 3/4 cabelas wind river reel (undeersized reel due to the weight - just cut down on the backing a bit) on it for $30 bucks and you have a $100 setup.

just an option....

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:32 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I had to have a friend build a short 5 weight for me. It is the bomb for tossing junk in tight quarters as well has powering big, fuzzy dries with maybe a dropper under it.
I hear that manufacturers used to market such rods but then became obsessed with seeing how dainty they could get away with and sell.
Who knows, just as click and pawl reels are finally making a come back maybe we'll see a resurgence of small rods in useful line weights.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:40 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I have a 5wt 6' rod that I use in small warmwater streams. It is a Cabelas 'White (whatever they sell)' and I think I paid around $100 for the combo. I have since gone to a 2wt but it worked great for my fishing. I don't do a lot of roll casting so I can't say much about that aspect. The outfit served me will for 3 years and would buy another if I lost or broke this one.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:39 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Another budget choice would be the Cabelas Classic Glass Rods

They have a 7' 5 wt, get good reviews, and they are on sale right now for $80.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:51 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Look for good used ones. There are a couple of very nice 7' 5wt rods out there- Fenwick fiberglass and Orvis Silver Label.