The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 06:24 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default fly box math

This is prompted by a thread about buying flies...which is something that I can't even comprehend
I don't know about y'all but a good percentage of my flies are tied when I get home after fishing and have thought a great deal about the flies that I should have had instead of the ones I was using.. ...
Can you do that when you "buy' ?

But anyway, back to the subject of the post
please help me with my "formulas" if you think that I'm off base

Say you're going on a trout fishing trip and you're going to be fishing all day, every day for about one week. We'll call that 6 days time.
In my mind you can count on loosing 6 flies a day and that could be many more than this or it could be less, but I'm think 6 is a good average, so we'll count on having an absolute minimum of one fly of each kind to loose per day
Now, lets say that you personally have 10 flies that you consider essentials. For many people it might be more, but 10 is almost a given. (60)
You've done your homework and you're thinking that there's only (and this is a very conservative number) 6 bugs that you may encounter, plus two types of minnows.
So conservatively, so far you're got 18 flies that you need to carry in numbers.
Now take into consideration each of your identified bugs has different stages. Your "essential" flies are going to cover a lot of these bases, but you're going to need to fill in the holes.
You got nymphs, emergers, cripples, no-hackles (or sparkle duns) parachutes, full hackled flies... for 6 different bugs. You wouldn't need to cover all the bases here but if you did that would be..... (< 218)
Plus the minnows in a couple of sizes anyway.... adult and immature... big and little (24)
Now the hard part, how do you factor in what you'll use and what you'll loose ? ...
The only way is to have everything (and this is only for 6 days)
Even if you're going to go with just 6 of each and count on not fishing (and loosing ) the same fly every day that's... OMG ... minimum

Last edited by Rip Tide; 05-15-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:15 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: fly box math

Rip, not sure what your point here is? So, suppose a person buying flies ends up with, say 500 flies in their fly boxes, at an average cost of $2 each. There are cheaper, but let's assume this person only buys Orvis flies!

So, they have $1000 tied up in flies. I'm sure some folks here have that much tied up in their rod & reel, some maybe even just the rod. Then add line or lines, plus the other associated items.

It's not difficult to spend that kind of money.

Now, lets get to the part about tying! Just from the posts you've made, and knowing how I've collected tying supplies myself over the years, we both know that tying can provide those flies you can't buy, but fact is it really saves little on the money end of things! I would bet you probably have $1000 tied up in hooks!

I know I darn well I do!

So, your point?

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:23 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Just something that's on my mind

I've been tying flies practically all my life and I'm sure that I don't have a thousand dollars into it.
... and that's just a weeks worth
Old 05-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
say 500 flies in their fly boxes, at an average cost of $2 each...

So, they have $1000 tied up in flies.
Those $45 waterproof boxes suddenly don't seem so expensive, given that they'll prevent rusting after a dunk.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:54 PM

... actually I wasn't considering cost.. (this time )
It was more about the thought and preparation needed to put together the collection of flies needed in advance, without the benefit of being able to fill in all the many blanks by tying your own
Old 05-15-2012, 08:11 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Cliff, good point! It's the "Fly Fishing Theory of Relativity"!

When you add it all up, it's relatively inexpensive when you look at the whole & what we "invest"!

You could say the same of things like padded reel cases or rod cases.

Rip, sir you must be extremely thrifty with buying your supplies!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:24 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Rip, the only problem with your math is that you only have 6 of each type of fly, and the fish will be hitting one type and tearing you up the first day, meaning if you lose 6 a day you will be out of the fly the fish are hitting and you will spend the next 5 days wishing you had bought more

My experience has always been that the fish will always want the fly you only have one or two of. So, you better pack your tying materials so you can tie some up around the campfire at night.

d
Rip Tide and cptxkirk like this.

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:30 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody told me there was gonna be MATH! milt.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:34 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'm with you Rip my head does the same thing to me right at the end of winter and I start panicing before dry fly time. This year I tried something different and got boxes of 100 in my size preferences and split them into dozens. Tying nearly all of them as full hackled flies, so when riverside if they want a para type offering I clip the hackle from the bottom, if its a spinner fall I clip top and bottom, emerger: I clip the bottom and sides, and so on. The streamers and wets are a different story all together, but so far my approach to the dries has been working out, good enough to keep me happy.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:34 PM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough

This hurts my head and my ego.....

I guess I will never have enough flies. You know the solution to this problem....bring your vise on your trip. That way if you need something, you get back to camp and tie it.

Many patterns will cover multiple hatches in most situations. My main trout box consists of 8 patterns.

-Hare's Ear
-PT
-Calibaetis
-Zebra midge
-Simi Seal Leach
-Adams
-BWO
-Stim
-EHC

And when none of these work, you borrow from your partner!

And always travel with your vise handy, that way if you are in dire need of a particular fly you go back to camp at night, tie some up, and have them ready for the next day. That is my solution! Because the thought of that many flies on a trip hurts my head!