The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 03:31 PM

chi_fly is on a distinguished road
Default Dreaming

When you start to study or learn a new language, people will tell you that once you start to have dreams in that particular language, you know you are catching on. Although I have yet to throw the fly since first learning a couple months ago. I had my first dream centered on fly fishing. I know I am far from being fluent but I do know that I am HOOKED. Details of the dream are fuzzy. I was wondering if any (or all) of you have fly fishing dreams? Any that stand out in your memory?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Dreaming

I never remember having a dream but I think about rods and reels every night as I begin falling asleep.

Honest, I've been doing that for years and I always go right to sleep

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-16-2012, 04:28 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I've had numerous fishing dreams! Amazing what the brain can tell you about what yourself ... if you can listen to it.

Ard: counting reels to fall asleep, love it! Are you in lower 48 yet?
Old 05-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

No, Thursday @ 1:40 AM. AK. time I leave here (redeye) and 10:30 PM I'm there.

The rod & reel counting works in a minute or under. Last night it was a Hardy Spey with a Cascapedia reel

Old 05-16-2012, 05:12 PM

I do remember in my dream that I was having trouble with the line piling up on the water in front of me. I have been thinking about how I should have corrected ever since.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Seriously, when and as you continue to get into this, get a good book about the sport / craft. I always recommend looking for a copy of 'Fly Fishing' by Tom McNally. No other title, just Fly Fishing.

Study, practice what is in that old book (circa 1978) and you will shine! Most important thing I can say; don't over think everything about this and get into hair splitting. The book will teach you and your time is the most important investment you can make. It (time) is more important than rod brand, line, or anything else.

Remember this should be fun, a challenge, but fun.

Ard

& welcome to the forum if I hadn't ever said that.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:39 PM

I appreciate the advice! I don't think the over thinking will be too much of a problem. In my initial "learning seesion," I was getting my cast down pretty good. I will definitely check out the book though! This weekend may be my first solo trip out. We will see how I do under my own guise.