The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   8WT rod (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/277781-8wt-rod.html)

colin272 05-16-2012 06:14 PM

8WT rod

Hey guys another question hear. I am considering getting a lot more serious in fishing for big bass, catfish, and carp. I have a 6wt rod now do I really need an 8wt for throwing big flies or will my 6wt work? I'm looking at size 2 or so in flies. Any and all help is appreciated.

sweetandsalt 05-16-2012 06:34 PM

Re: 8WT rod

Post this in tackle, fly rods, so folks will see it.

riverbilly 05-16-2012 06:56 PM

Just my experience.
I throw size 1 and 2 clousers and craws with the medium dumbbells (1/30 oz.) with my 5wt. all the time with no problem. I've caught 5#+ bass on that set up. If it is windy, throwing big top water type of flies is harder on the 5wt.

For catfish I've caught them up to 20" on the 5 easy enough, but when I hooked a 26"er I thought it was going to break the rod. This is in a kayak though so fishing from the bank/wading is probably different. Catfish always want to get under the boat.

I do have a 8wt and use it in big bass areas with lots of cover so I can keep the fish under control better. I also like to throw big articulated stuff and need the 8wt for that.

Haven't caught a good carp yet so I can't comment on that.

moucheur2003 05-16-2012 08:15 PM

You can make a 6 work, especially if you use a heavier line on it, but an 8 will work better.

I don't know exactly what conditions you want to fish in, and how often you would use it, so I would say try fishing with your 6 first, and if it's too frustrating, then you will know you want something bigger. Also, if you're only going to fish that way on rare occasions it might be less compelling to get a heavier outfit than if you want to fish that way a lot.

mbphotos54 05-16-2012 10:00 PM

Allen Xa rod 10ft 8wt. youll love it.:)

MoscaPescador 05-16-2012 11:37 PM

Depending on your fly choice, a six weight can work, but an eight weight will be the more versatile choice.

My preference is an eight weight for large bass. It has the muscle to throw large deer hair flies as well as the monster sized Pole Dancer flies. It also has the backbone to pull Homie out of the weeds.

Dennis

stl_geoff 05-17-2012 08:53 AM

it can work, however the first time you hook up with a BIG carp you will wish you had more. i use an 8wt for carp and it fits the bill pretty good. I have an 11wt I have been using lately just to get used to it and it makes carp pretty easy to handle. I dont think I would recommend an 11 over the 8, but I threw soem 10-12" long flies with my old 8 and it was definitly needed for heaving those big flies.

stanbiker 05-17-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin272 (Post 449868)
Hey guys another question hear. I am considering getting a lot more serious in fishing for big bass, catfish, and carp. I have a 6wt rod now do I really need an 8wt for throwing big flies or will my 6wt work? I'm looking at size 2 or so in flies. Any and all help is appreciated.

Of course you need an 8! You can never have too many flyrods......:D

Rip Tide 05-18-2012 08:23 AM

I was at the big box store the other day buying an 8wt line in the "bargain cave".
The guy at the counter needed to ask if I knew it was an 8wt line and when I responded that I had four 8wt rods and used them more than any other size that I owned his jaw dropped :rolleyes:

Vans 05-18-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanbiker (Post 450562)
Of course you need an 8! You can never have too many flyrods......:D

Much wisdom in this post.

How about this, if you have doubts about an 8, get a 7. There are a few brands out there that produce really good rods at a great price. Allen and Echo come to mind...