The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 06:14 PM

colin272 is on a distinguished road
Default 8WT rod

Hey guys another question hear. I am considering getting a lot more serious in fishing for big bass, catfish, and carp. I have a 6wt rod now do I really need an 8wt for throwing big flies or will my 6wt work? I'm looking at size 2 or so in flies. Any and all help is appreciated.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:34 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: 8WT rod

Post this in tackle, fly rods, so folks will see it.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:56 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

Just my experience.
I throw size 1 and 2 clousers and craws with the medium dumbbells (1/30 oz.) with my 5wt. all the time with no problem. I've caught 5#+ bass on that set up. If it is windy, throwing big top water type of flies is harder on the 5wt.

For catfish I've caught them up to 20" on the 5 easy enough, but when I hooked a 26"er I thought it was going to break the rod. This is in a kayak though so fishing from the bank/wading is probably different. Catfish always want to get under the boat.

I do have a 8wt and use it in big bass areas with lots of cover so I can keep the fish under control better. I also like to throw big articulated stuff and need the 8wt for that.

Haven't caught a good carp yet so I can't comment on that.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:15 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

You can make a 6 work, especially if you use a heavier line on it, but an 8 will work better.

I don't know exactly what conditions you want to fish in, and how often you would use it, so I would say try fishing with your 6 first, and if it's too frustrating, then you will know you want something bigger. Also, if you're only going to fish that way on rare occasions it might be less compelling to get a heavier outfit than if you want to fish that way a lot.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:00 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

Allen Xa rod 10ft 8wt. youll love it.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:37 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on your fly choice, a six weight can work, but an eight weight will be the more versatile choice.

My preference is an eight weight for large bass. It has the muscle to throw large deer hair flies as well as the monster sized Pole Dancer flies. It also has the backbone to pull Homie out of the weeds.

Dennis
Old 05-17-2012, 08:53 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

it can work, however the first time you hook up with a BIG carp you will wish you had more. i use an 8wt for carp and it fits the bill pretty good. I have an 11wt I have been using lately just to get used to it and it makes carp pretty easy to handle. I dont think I would recommend an 11 over the 8, but I threw soem 10-12" long flies with my old 8 and it was definitly needed for heaving those big flies.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-17-2012, 11:16 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin272 View Post
Hey guys another question hear. I am considering getting a lot more serious in fishing for big bass, catfish, and carp. I have a 6wt rod now do I really need an 8wt for throwing big flies or will my 6wt work? I'm looking at size 2 or so in flies. Any and all help is appreciated.
Of course you need an 8! You can never have too many flyrods......
Old 05-18-2012, 08:23 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I was at the big box store the other day buying an 8wt line in the "bargain cave".
The guy at the counter needed to ask if I knew it was an 8wt line and when I responded that I had four 8wt rods and used them more than any other size that I owned his jaw dropped
Old 05-18-2012, 08:58 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanbiker View Post
Of course you need an 8! You can never have too many flyrods......

Much wisdom in this post.

How about this, if you have doubts about an 8, get a 7. There are a few brands out there that produce really good rods at a great price. Allen and Echo come to mind...