The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 08:12 AM

mpa is on a distinguished road
Default High stick line advice.

I hope this is not covered in another thread. If it is, can someone point me in the right direction?

My question is: I am looking for a decen't line for a 10' #4 Streamflex XF2. I bought it specifically for HS and indicator fishing, but I will want to throw dries if the need arises. I generally fish smaller waters and MT streams and use shorter/lighter equipment so this will be new to me. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:19 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: High stick line advice.

For high sticking I was under the impression that modern methods use just a longer finer leader and very sort casts so line might not be an issue, chances are I'm totally wrong. For a do it all type of set up I've been checking out Wulff's Long Belly Line I haven't tried it but the decription sounds pretty wicked. Its like you get the best of a DT and shootability of a WF with better mending and line control.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:32 AM

Yes, that I understand. I guess what my question is what is preferred? DT, WF, longer belly, taper? What do most people like for this use? I am not really looking to make/shoot long casts.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:45 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

First off, how refreshing to hear the term "high sticking" instead of "Czech-style" nymphing... talk about marketing.

OK, rant be gone... IMO double taper (DT) is better suited for short casts and tight quarters. WF line is a distance/wind beater/big fly option. DT provides a softer presentation for fishing dry's as well.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Got a Streamflex 10' 5 wt I use with a dt4f to fish on dry....so I advise you to try a dt3f....it's a great rod to fish pocket and small waters
Old 05-17-2012, 02:15 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpa View Post
I hope this is not covered in another thread. If it is, can someone point me in the right direction?

My question is: I am looking for a decen't line for a 10' #4 Streamflex XF2. I bought it specifically for HS and indicator fishing, but I will want to throw dries if the need arises. I generally fish smaller waters and MT streams and use shorter/lighter equipment so this will be new to me. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Can you define what you specifically mean by HS?

The choice of a fly line is determined by how long a cast you will normally make and what flies you will most often be fishing. The delicacy of a delivering a dry fly does not depend on whether the line is a DT or WF line, it is determined by the taper of the line.

"One of the long standing myths in fly fishing is that a Double Taper (DT) fly line is more delicate than a Weight Forward (WF) fly line."

Bruce Richards, fly line product engineer for 3M Scientific Anglers, has been trying to correct some myths about DT vs WF fly lines. He writes,

"Few fly line subjects have been discussed more than which is the better taper, double taper (DT) or weight forward (WF). The answer is, neither is inherently better, but one may be better than the other for you.

A lot of generalizations are made about these two tapers based on outdated or incorrect information. We’ve all heard that DT lines are more delicate, give better control, roll cast better, etc. In some cases some of these things are true, but not always.

Delicacy of delivery is determined by the mass of the front part of a fly line. This is determined by line diameter (which relates directly to mass), and taper length. A line with a small diameter tip and a long taper has much less mass up front than a line with a large tip and short taper. Don’t be mislead by taper length alone, a line with a long front taper but a large tip diameter will not deliver delicately. A DT and a WF line with the same taper and tip diameter will deliver the same.

For many years most DT and WF lines were made with the same tip diameter and front taper length so there was no difference in how they delivered, although many claimed there was. Today, some of the DT lines are actually designed to be used specifically for spring creek type fishing and do have longer tapers and/or smaller tips."

WF vs. DT, The Great Debate - Fly Fisherman

Double Taper Versus Weight Forward: Which is Really Better? | Fly Fishing Info Center

http://flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/dtvswf.php

http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/wfvsdt.shtml

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 05-17-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:15 PM

What I mean is that I want to fish pocket water and faster water with no fly line laying on the water. Short drifts and I want to get nymphs down quickly. I bought a longer rod (I usually use an 8'6" #4 or a 9'#5) to be able to reach across seams and access more structure with less movement and without having a long length of line laying on the water to mend, etc.
I also bought the rod to indicator nymph and I will use it with dry flies if the need arises. If I plan on using dries mainly I will start with my 8'6'' or 9' rod.
Like I said before, I mostly fish mountain streams, for which I use even shorter and lighter tackle due to the fact that in some instances I actually have to crawl thru mountain laurel and multiflora roses to get to the places I enjoy.
The creeks and streams around my neighborhood Catoctin Mountains (Camp David area) are not that wide so I have been able to fish quite well with what I have. Lately I have been going to western MD to fish some of the larger rivers and I found that in a lot of instances I had to work a lot harder due to complex currants and such. That is the reason I bought a longer rod and my question was for advice on a decent line to use so that I wouldn't have to carry 2 rods or hike back to my car. I know there is no such thing as a line that will do it all, I just wanted some input before I started experimenting.
I normally don't need to cast more than 20 to 30 feet and i only use a WFF on the 8 and 9 footers, for when I do need that extra distance. To be honest with you, I use DTF on my short rods mainly for economical reasons.
jpbfly- Thank you for your suggestion. That idea never even crossed my mind. That is the first thing I will try
Old 05-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

It depends on your casting distance needs.

Some will HSN with so much weight that normal casting isn't needed: They'll just use a running line and lob casts. The benefit of using a running line this way is that you have less weight on the line between the rod tip and the water, and thus its less likely to sag. Joe Humphreys does a fine demonstration of the technique in his "A Casting Approach to Nymphing Tactics" video.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:51 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Don't overthink your situation. Get a quality weight forward floating fly line. From the technique that you mentioned, your drifts will be short, so you do not really need an extended belly line. For throwing dries, the WF line will do just fine.

Dennis
Old 05-17-2012, 10:52 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't matter what line you get if you are not casting much line for the type of nymphing you want to do.

For the dry fly fishing , the only time I think a WF line comes into play is when you are fishing still waters. For river fishing, even if you can cast a bit further with a WF line, you will not be able to mend at that distance so long distance dry fly fishing on moving water is not that practical.

I'd get a DT myself for a 4 wt. Rarely will need that shooting capability of a WF for river fishing, especially with a 10 footer that will cast a WF further than a 9 footer. Wade fishing the shoreline of a lake like Hebgen??? - Then I'd go for the WF.

Read the references I already posted.

"Most WF lines have heads that are 35-40 ft. long. Add a 9 ft. leader and the distance to the fly from the end of the head is 44-49 ft. To that, add the length of the rod since roll cast normally end with the rod parallel to the water and pointed at the target. That is the distance at which DT and WF lines control and roll cast the same. There aren’t many typical trout fishing situations that require roll casts longer than that, and not many casters who can roll cast that far. What this all means is that DT and WF lines work pretty much the same at the distances we fish most of the time.

Certainly if someone fishes a big river that requires a lot of long distance roll casting and mending he or she should consider a DT line or a WF with a long head. Rods longer than 9 ft. are almost a necessity also, roll cast distance and mending performance is directly dependent on rod length.

Everybody knows that WF lines are better for distance than DT lines, but is that really true? Well, yes, but the difference isn’t as big as you might think. Certainly WF lines shoot better because of their small, light running lines. But remember, this benefit starts at 44-49 ft. when the running line is in the rod. If you will be making a lot of long casts it is certainly a little easier to do with a WF line, but don’t think that DT lines won’t shoot, they will, just not as far. With the advent of new slick coatings like AST DTs shoot better than ever.
"

WF vs. DT, The Great Debate - Fly Fisherman

Bruce Richards would love to sell you two WF lines than one DT, but he is absolutely correct that the extra length casting length of the WF is impractical except in a few circumstances with a 4 wt line.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 05-18-2012 at 09:18 AM.