The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By dhayden

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 09:34 AM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough
Default fly assortments

Is it worth buying those prepackaged fly assortments from places like cabelas and orvis? They seem to be a good deal for the number of flies you get.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:51 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: fly assortments

There's a couple of other threads sort of related to this..

Pick 4 flies
Fly Box math

It really comes down to if those assortments are flies you actually want.. then the price per fly might be attractive. But sometimes.. if you only really use 4 of them.. they cost you more

In any single part of the season.. 90% of the time I'm probably using about 6 flies out of these 10. I also lose a lot of flies.. I'd rather have a couple of each of these (in a few different sizes).. then 1 of 60 different patterns

I'm sure I could narrow this down further.. and not carry the 6 fly boxes I do.. but it's the other 10% that I go to those for

Pheasant Tail
Micro Mayfly
Red Copper John
San Juans Worm
Stone Fly Nymph

Parachute PMD
PMD Emerger
BWO dry

Daves Hooper
Chernobyl Ant
mcnerney, stenacron and tbblom like this.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:48 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

The Orvis 20 flies for $9.95 including shipping is a good deal. You will probably use a good majority of these flies - I do.
If you decide to purchase them, be sure to click through one of the ads on the forum - so the forum gets credit for directing you there.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 05-18-2012, 04:03 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiso View Post
The Orvis 20 flies for $9.95 including shipping is a good deal. You will probably use a good majority of these flies - I do.
If you decide to purchase them, be sure to click through one of the ads on the forum - so the forum gets credit for directing you there.
+1
Back in my salad days, I'd buy those offers when the $ allowed. And they were quality flys that held together well.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 05-18-2012, 04:29 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

For a newbie tier like me, the Orvis 20 for $9.95 was a great way to get 20 patterns to compare to, when trying my own ties.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 05-18-2012, 07:24 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Looking at these fly assortments reminds me of "bundled channels" offered up by cable providers… seems like they're cleverly thought out to force you to have to buy all of them. The 16-pc dry fly assortment for example has no caddisflies? So now you have to buy the caddisfly assortment. Now you've bought two (2) assortments, but you still don't have any stoneflies or terrestrials… gotta buy them too (separately of course). So after laying down the bread for four (4) dry fly assortments, you still need nymphs, midges, streamers… bang-bang-bang ($$$). And the list goes on.

So now you have all these assortments, you hit the evening hatch just right, you crack open your fly boxes and realize that after shelling out all these bucks you have a total of two (2) imitations that match what is actually hatching… or worse, the fish are sipping spinners and you don't have ANY of those!

I think dhayden is spot on… make a list and stock up on your own assortment. You might not save as much money that way, but at least you'll be prepared for your local waters.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-18-2012, 08:47 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Exactly what he said in that itlooks good but I only need 6 tyes of he 10 or whatever in a bundle.Plus on top of the fact I am sort of neurotic in that I buy flies buy the dozen no matter what.

Reasons

1) I catch alot of trees, so two wont do it
2) I snag alot of underwater trees / rocks so two wont cut it
3) My friends are always saying ooh i dont hae one of those so Two wont cut it
4) I drop more flies in the river as I tie them on than I care to thiink of ..Two wont cut it
5) I have limbs knock flies off my vest patch so two wont cut it
6) I catch a lot of trees ( so much I said it twice)

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 05-18-2012, 11:08 PM

nymtber is on a distinguished road

I bought a pack of 25 flies at walmart for $6/7 I think it was....wasn't much. Cheap, yes. But I wanted them more for bluegill when they are hitting on flies. They tend not to be too picky, in fact I think most of the time they strike out of curiosity...if it hits the surface they figure they can get a snack!

They were made in china (of course) but come in a nice little box with 6 sections and thin foam in each. I can re-use the box if nothing else

Otherwise, I would buy flies by the type I wanted. Except maybe poppers, I would buy an assortment of them.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:22 AM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

I get mine from a guy on ebay. Quality is real good, id say orvis quality. I bought 15 dzn or more.