The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 12:55 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Heartstopping moments

After posting to jhammers thread about the gar
see : Gar attack and monster fish From the ones I posted to others like being chased back to the boat by a few blacktips while bonefishing, having a large dolphin breach right along side the boat off the jersey coast, Having a 10 lb bluefish trying to eat me when I was trying to release him in the surf Etc. I thought it would make an interesting thread.
Did you ever have any Heart stopping moments fishing ?????
Old 05-17-2012, 02:09 PM

chauncey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Heartstopping moments

yeah the moment i thought I had forgotten to put the plug in the boat while running up river... luckily i had not =)

ps - it was my father in laws boat
Old 05-17-2012, 03:05 PM

fly_or_die is on a distinguished road

While fishing the Hiwasse river in TN I have encountered several water snakes and for me that was a heart stopping moment. I hate snakes, the give me the chills lol. Had a run in with one the other night, I guess I getting more used to them though!
Old 05-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_or_die View Post
While fishing the Hiwasse river in TN I have encountered several water snakes and for me that was a heart stopping moment. I hate snakes, the give me the chills lol. Had a run in with one the other night, I guess I getting more used to them though!
Likewise about snakes! While I was stationed in the Florida panhandle back in the late 70's, we had gone out bass fishing in a friends jon boat when a water moccasin decides to take exception to our presence and swims directly at our boat, needless to say we hightailed in out of there.

Larry
Old 05-17-2012, 04:25 PM

Mnflyfish is a jewel in the roughMnflyfish is a jewel in the roughMnflyfish is a jewel in the rough

Snakes!...hate 'em. I was fishing with a buddy on the Mississippi and a snake came across the water and then tried to get in the boat. I had reeled in my lure and then started whoppin it with my spinning rod. it finally gave up and swam away, crawled up on a log and watched me. gave me the willies! My buddy was laughin at me and asked what i would have done had it got in the boat. My reply was simple....wasnt room in the boat for both me and the snake! I look back and chuckle at it now, but it WAS a heartstopping moment...at the time anyway.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:26 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Heartstopping moments

I've had a lot of "moments" with seals
They have little fear of humans and consider seeing someone holding a fishing rod an open invitation to a free lunch.
Seal pups like to play as well and will "count coup" by getting as close to you as possible before slapping the water like a giant beaver and swimming off.
Most recently I was wading a channel at night when unbeknownst to me a striper decided to use me as cover like a basketball player utilizing a 'pick"
Fortunately the seal chasing the fish stopped short before taking me out because I would have crapped myself for sure. But that was enough for me.
The heart stopping crash in the water only a couple of feet away was enough to end the fun for the night
Old 05-17-2012, 04:31 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of

Two as a matter of fact.

1) Like and idiot I was trying to fish runoff in a small mt stream. Flows were still on the high side at theback end of runoff. I was in thigh deep water wading upstream since the river was so brushy it would have been tough to get out where I was. I am trudging upstream and hear some heavy crashing through the brush. A young bull moose joined me in the river about 15 yards away. No problem until he reached the other side of the stream and couldnt get out due to brush. As he turned back around he sighted me and we had a little stare off for a few moments. Luckily he kept turning and went back from where he came.

2) Last year in runoff I was fishing a little corner of a river that was moving fast. I was on the inside of the corner and as I look to the water on my right the brush was thick and impassible. Only exit was left down stream. As I am fishing I see a 3pt bull elk across the stream...."oh how cute I say" Look to my left and another one...again "oh how cute" then big brother a full blown 6pt herd bull steps out probably 10 yards from me. The two little ones didnt mind me but the big one did. He was snorting and clawing the ground. He was in my only exit path. Had he charge my only option would have been to take a swim . Problem was water was fast, I in waders and around the next corner of the river is a real pretty section of plunge pools. No thanks on that, so I layed my rod down and belly crawled in waders in to the middle of the bushes until he walked off. I went back got my rod and as I hked towards the trail he came flying down the hill to withing about 20 yards of me. Back in the bushes I went and crawled around him until I was in a spot I could get clear quickly.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:41 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Years ago (I was maybe 19 or 20), first time fishing the striper run, as they come up the Hudson River. We were night fishing with live bait (big minnows) just below the Federal Dam in Troy, when something took my bait and bent my rod in half! I was in for the hardest, longest, fresh-water fight that I had EVER had, but after better than 20 minutes, the fish started to tire, and I started to make headway in getting him boatside to net.

As, what I thought was the biggest stripper I had ever seen, broke the surface next to the boat, I was shocked, scared, amazed, and "heartstopped" all in the same moment, because instead of being my trophy stripper, it was the biggest, ugliest, snarly eel that I had ever seen. His head looked to be the size of a football!

I have NO idea how big he was, because with teeth like that (and my fishing buddy SWORE that the eel was "hissisng" at us), I just cut the line about 2' from the eel.

That's when we decided that we really needed to know a bit more about striper fishing before we ventured back out after them again!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky

Last edited by fire instructor; 05-17-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Because, as Rip Tide pointed out, spelling isn't my strong suit!
Old 05-17-2012, 04:47 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
Years ago (I was maybe 19 or 20), first time fishing the stripper run........

That's when we decided that we really needed to know a bit more about stripper fishing before we ventured back out after them again!
I think your mistake was that not knowing that most people fish for strippers with dollar bills
Old 05-17-2012, 05:26 PM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen

Bears....I live in Alaska. That's all I have to say about that!
"To go fishing is the chance to wash one's soul with pure air, with the rush of the brook, or with the shimmer of sun on blue water. It brings meekness and inspiration from the decency of nature, charity toward tackle-makers, patience toward fish, a mockery of profits and egos, a quieting of hate, a rejoicing that you do not have to decide a darned thing until next week. And it is discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish."
~ Herbert Hoover