The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Proper Killing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/278197-proper-killing.html)

arcvrist 05-17-2012 07:35 PM

Proper Killing

So i caught my largest bass today, somewhere just under a pound. I took it home and had a hard time deciding on the best way to kill it. Im aware of a vein behind the gills but never had any practice with that. I ended up cutting the head off as quick as I could with my 10" chef knife. Im wondering how you guys go about it. I also saw a technique for brain spiking on youtube, but not sure if that works on smaller fish.

Thanks

littledavid123 05-17-2012 07:45 PM

Re: Proper Killing

I knife in the brain and a slight twist, if done right you get a single tail flop and its over.

Dave

arcvrist 05-17-2012 07:50 PM

Ok, thanks dave, next time ill try that.

two_nymph_rig 05-17-2012 08:07 PM

If I plan on keeping a fish for the dinner plate, I just give it a sharp blow with a stick on top of the head. usually just get a few flops and it's over.

mbphotos54 05-17-2012 10:22 PM

i try to keep fish alive till time to fillet.. over in Germany I got this tiny lil baseball bat for wacking fish on the head,, it was mandatory at the pay lake,, Though.. I am guilty of having a flopping fish half way filleted... but thats been along time. I rarly keep fish.
Mike

chauncey 05-18-2012 07:12 AM

ive actually had small catfish jump out of the grease because they were so fresh when they were put in

Rip Tide 05-18-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbphotos54 (Post 450555)
I got this tiny lil baseball bat for wacking fish on the head,,

That's called a "priest". I don't even want to know why ;)

mbphotos54 05-18-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 450699)
That's called a "priest". I don't even want to know why ;)

we just call it a whacker hahah. down use it much anymore..

Guest1 05-18-2012 11:42 PM

Cutting the head off might make filleting a tad harder. I just bang them on the noggin and put them in a cooler of ice. Once they are cooled off they fillet easier anyway. Are you good at filleting by the way? If not I can talk you through it.

caseywise 05-18-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diver Dan (Post 451123)
Cutting the head off might make filleting a tad harder. I just bang them on the noggin and put them in a cooler of ice. Once they are cooled off they fillet easier anyway. Are you good at filleting by the way? If not I can talk you through it.

what dan said. a nice whack to the back of the neck and ice.
my dad does the red salmon dip net harvest every summer on the kasilof river in alaska, and he has a little orange hard rubber club that they use.
i know that hardy makes a ''priest", as rip mentioned
Hardy Fly - Products - Accessories - Tools - Priest

casey