The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 07:35 PM

arcvrist is on a distinguished road
Default Proper Killing

So i caught my largest bass today, somewhere just under a pound. I took it home and had a hard time deciding on the best way to kill it. Im aware of a vein behind the gills but never had any practice with that. I ended up cutting the head off as quick as I could with my 10" chef knife. Im wondering how you guys go about it. I also saw a technique for brain spiking on youtube, but not sure if that works on smaller fish.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2012, 07:45 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proper Killing

I knife in the brain and a slight twist, if done right you get a single tail flop and its over.

Dave
Old 05-17-2012, 07:50 PM

arcvrist is on a distinguished road

Ok, thanks dave, next time ill try that.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:07 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

If I plan on keeping a fish for the dinner plate, I just give it a sharp blow with a stick on top of the head. usually just get a few flops and it's over.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:22 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

i try to keep fish alive till time to fillet.. over in Germany I got this tiny lil baseball bat for wacking fish on the head,, it was mandatory at the pay lake,, Though.. I am guilty of having a flopping fish half way filleted... but thats been along time. I rarly keep fish.
Mike
Old 05-18-2012, 07:12 AM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough

ive actually had small catfish jump out of the grease because they were so fresh when they were put in
Old 05-18-2012, 08:30 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
I got this tiny lil baseball bat for wacking fish on the head,,
That's called a "priest". I don't even want to know why
Old 05-18-2012, 09:58 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
That's called a "priest". I don't even want to know why
we just call it a whacker hahah. down use it much anymore..
Old 05-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Cutting the head off might make filleting a tad harder. I just bang them on the noggin and put them in a cooler of ice. Once they are cooled off they fillet easier anyway. Are you good at filleting by the way? If not I can talk you through it.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:54 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Cutting the head off might make filleting a tad harder. I just bang them on the noggin and put them in a cooler of ice. Once they are cooled off they fillet easier anyway. Are you good at filleting by the way? If not I can talk you through it.

what dan said. a nice whack to the back of the neck and ice.
my dad does the red salmon dip net harvest every summer on the kasilof river in alaska, and he has a little orange hard rubber club that they use.
i know that hardy makes a ''priest", as rip mentioned
Hardy Fly - Products - Accessories - Tools - Priest

casey

ARFE