The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 06:55 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Catch the same fish twice in one day?

One day on the Ham's Fork in SW Wyoming, I broke off a nice sized trout. About 30 minutes later I came back to the same hole again and hooked another one. When I landed her, she still had my first nymph stuck in the corner of her mouth.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:05 PM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

I can't definitively say that I've done it in one day before. I know someone who's caught the same trout twice within an hour on multiple occasions. I've caught the same fish twice with a year in between.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:57 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I really appreciate when, as has already been mentioned, you catch a fish that would seem like it should be dead from some serious-seeming injury. My friend caught a small rainbow with a huge bite wound in it, and returned it to the creek. I have caught the same fish multiple times over in the same area on both dries and nymphs. Despite a bite that stretches from its dorsal to its belly, the fish not only survived but continues to feed voraciously!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-18-2012, 11:20 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have done it with small Pike, Panfish and and a couple of Smallmouth before. A couple of years ago I caught the same Walleye twice but it was on Oct. 5th the first time, and Oct. 20th the second. Then My Canadian Fishing buddy caught one on Oct. 6 th this last Fall and I got it again on Oct. 20th the second time. There must be a lesson in there somewhere but danged if I know what it is.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:41 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

yeah, i've caught allot of fish more than once. when i was a kid i fished a stretch of the upper anchor river in alaska, and caught native rainbows out of holes multiple times.
recently last week i caught a really big(10"+) crappie three times in an afternoon and had the same big largemouth on twice. go figure.

casey

ARFE
Old 05-19-2012, 05:54 AM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

I've suspected it a few times, but not sure. Back in my spinning days I had a nice smallie break off with my favorite lure, only to catch him two casts later with the first lure still in his jaw. That one, I was sure about.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

It happened to me several times...last year I caught a rainbow when I arrived on the water in the morning...and caught it again before I left in the eveningon a black chub special in the morning...on a yellow one in the evening
Old 05-19-2012, 06:13 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago took a bunch of guys from work Bluefishing on my boat on Long Island Sound. Two of them had never fished in the salt and went out and bought brand new conventional tackle. About an hour into the trip Joe ( the guy with the new rig) put his rod down to pour a cup of coffee . Fish hit brand new rod and reel over gone and good bye!
Continued fishing all day and into the early evening. Caught plenty of Blues all day between 10 and 12 lbs lots of fun.even got a chance to nail a few on my 12wt which was a blast. Towards the end of the day I mentioned we should hit one more spot and head in . All agreed and a few minutes into the drift Joe using one of my extra boat rods hooks a gorilla! Asit comes along side I notice another line hanging from what was definitely the biggest fish of the day. As pulled on the line up it came Joes new rod and reel. The odds of this happening as far as we were from where he originally lost the rod and 8 hours later would be akin to hitting the lottery. Not to mention the hundreds of other boats that had been fishing the Sound that day!
Catching the same fish twice paid off for my friend Joe in a big way!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-19-2012, 06:16 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout sniper View Post
I once hooked a nice little trout on a nymph, took the fly out of his mouth, and placed back in the water. I watched as he turned around and struck the same fly he had just been unhooked from. Too funny. I had to repeat the same process all over again.
That's a dumb fish.

I hooked myself in the thumb twice yesterday on the E Walker in about 10 minutes. Could be a record for idiocy in a short time frame.
dhayden likes this.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:38 AM

stlskyline will become famous soon enough
Default For sure once.

I was fishing the Current River in MO last year and stripping a w.bugger after the swing I was just letting sit in the current, Had a great strike and the fly was gone. Twenty minutes later the same thing, landed the fish and retrieved my bugger.