The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 09:42 PM

jborn is on a distinguished road
Default Catch the same fish twice in one day?

Today I was fishing on a small creek and I caught the same fish twice. I recognized the fish due to its size that was fairly large for the creek and the fact that it had scars on one side of the body. The fish hit a black ant both times. Is it common to catch the same fish twice in one day?
Old 05-17-2012, 10:03 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Catch the same fish twice in one day?

i did it last year,, 30 minutes between catching the same tiny bluegill haha.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:39 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I can't say I have done it twice in one day, but I believe, based on scars and such, that I have caught the same one two weekends in a row.

Now, there is one on one of the lakes I fish that I know is running around with 3 or 4 of my flies in his lip. I have had him within 10 feet of my tube a few times and he keeps getting off. Sooner or later I am gonna catch that son of a gun and get my flies back

d
mbphotos54 likes this.

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:25 AM

logic_factory is on a distinguished road

i have done it on a couple of occasions, on the beaverkill river. the most notable time i shared my goal before hand. i had lost the fish the night earlier and caught it mid morning the next day on very similar feeding lane; got my fly back! both, my father(emphasis on father) and i have done this enough to know that some fish return to their holding spot within rivers; especially if it is an advantageous position.

i also caught the same 18" largemouth bass on a 1001 acre lake in maine twice on the same day. it was a deep gullet hook; i cut the hook in half to remove both pieces. i caught the fish 13 hours later within similar topographical area(point off the main channel, within maybe 50 yard diameter). felt good to know that the fish was still alive and trying to feed.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:02 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

I have never caught the same fish twice in the same day that I know of but I have caught the same rock bass at least 4 times this year and always in the same spot. It has got to be the same one because it is the biggest one I have caught in this small creek.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:46 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I once got a 5+ pound Brown Trout in New Zealand. Then we went up the bank and had lunch.. after about 15 minutes we noticed the trout had gotten back into his feeding lane - making the same circular route in this corner (about 60 x 40 feet).. no question it was the same fish.. and after lunch.. my wife caught it.. probably 45 minutes after I had
Old 05-18-2012, 03:44 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I've caught a few fish twice in the same day, but usually several hours apart each time.

On another site, not a fly fishing specific site, an angler recently posted how a Striped Bass they had landed was caught a second time the same day.

Here's the story: Fishing Report Sometimes Rockfish are not the Sharpest Tool in the Shed

Talk about a reaction strike! That fish sure had a short memory! Either that or it was really hungry!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-18-2012, 04:04 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I caught this striper twice, but as I only catch the stupid fish, I assume that a lot of fish I catch, I catch twice.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:40 PM

mnfisher is on a distinguished road

Thats funny that this is a recent post just yesterday i got a small rainbow chub on a caddis while fishing for brooks and i let it go and not ten minute later caught it again on the same thing!!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:26 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road

I once hooked a nice little trout on a nymph, took the fly out of his mouth, and placed back in the water. I watched as he turned around and struck the same fly he had just been unhooked from. Too funny. I had to repeat the same process all over again.