The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 09:31 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Decisions

Sep, great story, liked everyone has said, lookin forward to seeing the rest of the story! I had no idea you were near Silva, shoulda put that one together... I have a family friend with a vacation house in Silva, need to make another trip...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-19-2012, 01:04 AM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Im game for just about any weather except for hot, humid and still. its those days when the water temp gets warm.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:13 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys. As is most often the case, the best fishing stories are usually not about the actual fishing. The day went predictably. While we did enjoy a handful of hours without heavy rain falling on our heads (and the hail refrained from a repeat visit), the damage was done. The Tuck rose quickly from the morning rains and turned to chocolate milk before we got too far along.

Chris dredged nymphs down the seams and I, subscribing to fyshsytr's theory, threw streamers at the banks. We each caught a few, but just a few.

At one point Chris boated three in a row, nymphing 5 feet from the boat, while I continued to pitch 30 feet to the banks. I wondered aloud what was wrong with this picture - what kind of idiot was I, not switching to what seemed to be working. Jason's deadpan response was "You like to cast."

It seemed a good enough answer to me (and, actually, a correct one) and we continued on, unchanged.

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimulator2 View Post
Nice post . I don't blame you i would have went to a little rain some times makes things better and if you drove the 3 and half hours fron chatham co. to fish go for it i live 30min from the Tuck. some good fish in there...
Looked like a good fishery, indeed. If I lived 30 mins away, I'd hit it a lot. And I agree 100%, a little rain can make things better. Ah, that we had only had a little.

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Nice!

I've had some of my best Steelheading days in really rotten weather.
Aren't good steelheading days always rotten weather? At least, in my experience, good steelheaders aren't happy unless it's rottten. Just sayin'.

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Great post Mikeonce a friend of mine told me"JP even if it rains sh...t we'll go fishing"
Remind me never to fish with your friend. And you sure must have some strange weather patterns over there, JP.

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
As a Guide I must say it is always the clients call!! We have the day set aside and we have the rain gear. If the condition don't bother the client who are we to gripe?
I'd fish with you any day, Davo. My kinda guide.

I'll add that while the weather was ****, the company was great and the float was fabulous, fish or no.

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
... I have a family friend with a vacation house in Silva, need to make another trip...
Indeed you do, AJ. Lot's of good fishing in the area.

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnflyfish View Post
Im game for just about any weather except for hot, humid and still. its those days when the water temp gets warm.
Living in central North Carolina, if I didn't fish hot, humid, and still, I wouldn't fish all summer. I know a few largemouths that wouldn't mind that.

I just don't like that crackly, electrical stuff falling out of the clouds.
Davo likes this.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:29 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Sep

Glad to hear you had a fun float in spite of the conditions and less than enthusiastic fish!! Your welcome in my boat anytime, love clients and fishing partners who are willing to roll the dice!!

As Fyshstykr and Mrs Fysh can attest, I sometimes do the bad days without rain gear!! Though in my own defense it was not in my boat but theirs and there was no sign of rain at the put in! It was a cold last couple of miles to the take out though!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

As the ol' saying goes Dave....." if you don't like the weather now, give it 5 minutes".

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 05-20-2012, 01:41 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
As the ol' saying goes Dave....." if you don't like the weather now, give it 5 minutes".
Fysh

Might just be in my head but I think that ice cold rain lasted longer than 5 minutes. Being the only one with out rain gear it might have just seemed longer to me!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures