The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 04:32 AM

tuco is on a distinguished road
Default Good deals on gear?

Are there any online sites that offer good discounts? Everywhere I look the prices seem identical. Am I just not looking at the right sites? If they are all exactly the same I guess it doesn't matter much. It just seems strange. For example if I'm looking at a Winston rod no matter where I look the prices are identical.

---------- Post added at 03:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 AM ----------

BTW I did the The Trout Spot with the 10% off offer for members.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:43 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good deals on gear?

If you're look for something specific, you're probably out of luck. Most manufacturers set the prices and don't allow their retailers to discount.
If on the other hand, you're just looking for a deal on a close-out, a site like Sierra Trading Post might be what you're looking for
Old 05-19-2012, 06:45 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Pretty much yes, sort of like golf clubs. If I was a betting man since I used to run a golf shop we ran razor thin margins on hardware, clubs balls etc etc and made the money on shoes / shirts. I bet fly shops are a similar business model.

Some shops will offer 10-15% off a package if you buy rod/reel/line. Or like Front Range Anglers does if you buy say a Winston biiix you get 50% off premium line.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 05-19-2012, 07:47 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at the Allen Fly Fishing web site, Justin offers forum members a pretty nice discount, do a search on Allen Fly Fishing on the forum and you will see what I'm talking about.

Also you might checkout this site for discounted gear: Home page

Old 05-19-2012, 08:39 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

If you're looking for the latest gear, as the others have said, the prices will not vary much.

There are sellers such as Overstock.com, & Sierra Trading Post that often sell discounted gear. However, what they sell is usually closeouts, production over runs, & discontinued gear. Sometimes, if you know what you're looking for & know the normal retail prices, you can get some good deals from sellers such as these, but they don't give it away. They're trying to get as much as they can for what they sell and often adjust prices, I guess to feel out what the market for these items can bear. If demand is slow they lower them, if high, they can raise them, and be almost as much as MSRP.

I've bought several times from both, and have signed up for their email notices. Many times they send special pricing to folks on their email list. You do have to pay attention to their pricing, because I've seen them have sales where they actually raise prices over what they may have had listed previously. You have to be patient sometimes too!

Just as an example, awhile back I got 2 Redington 9 wt fly rod outfits for less than $65 each with shipping from Sierra, when most of the time they had them listed for about $85-$120 plus shipping.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-19-2012, 09:12 AM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

try www.flyshopcloseouts.com they seem to have some pretty good deals. Not a huge selection, but definatley worth a look IMO.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:07 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I look at deals on the fly. They offer one item at a time. Have yet to buy anything but check at least weekly because you never know. Also just check the companies websites in their sale or clearance area. Places like Orvis, bass pro, cabelas, patagonia, JS Stockard, filson, albright (big sale right now), etc etc, as well as local shops and specials Allen fly fishing runs on our forum. If you need something now, you might be out of luck. If you've got time just surf the sites and you might find what you're looking for and for a better price.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:54 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Pretty much yes, sort of like golf clubs. If I was a betting man since I used to run a golf shop we ran razor thin margins on hardware, clubs balls etc etc and made the money on shoes / shirts. I bet fly shops are a similar business model.

Some shops will offer 10-15% off a package if you buy rod/reel/line. Or like Front Range Anglers does if you buy say a Winston biiix you get 50% off premium line.

I can tell you that the mark-up on fly rods is huge. I have a friend that works at one of the big box stores and he can buy them at cost plus 10%. He gets fly rods for under 50% of MSRP.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:35 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I can tell you that the mark-up on fly rods is huge. I have a friend that works at one of the big box stores and he can buy them at cost plus 10%. He gets fly rods for under 50% of MSRP.
Interesting, good for them that they can make some decent money for stocking inventory.

Golf business was sad back in the day, mind you this was like 1997 but example

Driver
Cost 275, retail $299
Balls doz cost $22, Retail $21 ( yes a loss leader )
Putter cost $99 retail $109

However

Shoes
Cost $50 Retail $119
Shirt
Cost $27 retail $55

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 05-25-2012, 09:35 AM

jlschuma is on a distinguished road

I always check ebay and craigslist for deals. Amazon is a great resource as well. I like Sierra Trading Post but have never found something I want there. My favorite is just go to a local shop and enjoy it. Paying a few extra bucks is worth the conversation. The will have closeouts as well. If it is a big price difference I will order online. One of the shops in town closed so now the other is pretty far away. I have a Sportsmans Warehouse close to me and they are pretty good though.