The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: I mad the chancge from a common theif to up close and personal with Robin Leach

Hi Coop,

I've been casting a 7' 9" 5 weight Far & Fine since 1979. By the sounds of it the company is returning to its graphite roots with the action of these rods. I would never tell a fella not to buy a vintage Orvis Graphite off the auction site. If the seller does not list the age of the rod ask them to check the butt cap. The production dates are etched there. Any rod from the 1975 / 76, 7' to the 8.5' Limestone will be a dream to cast.

I have tried to influence some members to buy these old Orvis rods for years. Thus far I don't know of anyone who has bought a rod of the vintage of which I give such high regard. Some folks expressed concern about the warranty being long since expired and so on but I have no such trepidations when looking for them. An old rod in pristine condition can be had well under 300 dollars and you simply take care of it and forget the warranty thing.

To try to wrap up my thoughts about the early Orvis graphite (superfine) rods; the reason I have cast so few of their newer rods is that the old ones are so good I have no desire to try anything else. You could suppose that I am missing the boat by being this way, or perhaps I've been sailing happily on the boat for over three decades

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;