The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 07:59 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about
Default Ahh Orvis...sweet Orvis

I fell in love with the two most wonderful ladies. Stepped into a Orvis endorsed fly shop the other day and fell in love. I had no intention of doing so but i was coerced into casting a Helios. Ave Maria! Far and away one of the best casting 4 weight rods i have ever handled. I have cast one or two before but this was considered a 6.5 midflex. Effortless tight loops, reserve power for days, and its lays them down from 15 ft all the way to 70ft with the same stroke and effort. I cant believe it.

The second is their Superfine touch. I also cast a 7'6 5 weight and fell in love. Talk about the perfect brookie/panfish rod. In the past i used 4 weights but overlined them to a 5 to get a full flexing rod that could cast up close as well as turn over the larger bush flies i often use like size 10 Stimys and big wulf patterns. There it sat in all of its un-sanded beauty waiting for me.

Last edited by db cooper; 12-14-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:20 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: I mad the chancge from a common theif to up close and personal with Robin Leach

Joni has a Helios, and she loves it also.
But the Superfine's, that's another story. Those rods have personality. They are like a part of you when you cast them. Years ago, I had a Trout Bum. Then the TB was a 4wt. only. Like a dumb a$$ I sold it. Worst mistake of my fishing life.
But, Joni has one I can use, and I have the 4wt. One Ounce, and the 5 wt. Far and Fine. These are all the gray unsanded, except the TB which is the next generation SF's- red blank color.
I think Ard is a Superfine fan too.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:12 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: I mad the chancge from a common theif to up close and personal with Robin Leach

I borrowed a friend's 4wt trout bum and I agree with you guys, a great full flex rod! Caught my personal best wild brown for that particular system on that rod, it was quite fun! And while I've heard that Helios have a tendency to be on the more fragile end of the spectrum, the Orvis company has a pretty decent warranty so that should make up for it.

As far as the connection between Orvis and Biggie, well I'd say I like them both.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-20-2012, 02:19 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

odd i think

Last edited by db cooper; 12-14-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:47 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough

Ha nice post Biggi
Old 05-20-2012, 04:50 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

There are elements of the Helios that are good at protecting the rod (namely the recoil guides) but when you have what is touted as the lightest rod on the market, I wouldn't expect it to be heavily resilient. But I don't own one, nor have I broke one, so I'm not the authority here.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-20-2012, 06:00 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Helios is a great stick. My lodge has ten of them exclusively for our clients. Man are they spoiled. Or is it I'm jealous. Either way I get to use them at work and what a pleasure.Exactly as Db stated don't matter short or 70 ft same effortless tight loop cast!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-20-2012, 06:44 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

I have a 5wt Helios and it's by far my favorite stick. When I go fishing I look at my other rods (Allen & Loop) but I always grab my Helios and take the Hydros as backup. The Helios does everything good for all situations on the water and it's been a pretty tough rod. These rods are expensive but they do perform very well.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:48 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

I had a similar experience earlier this year with a 10' 6wt Helios. Oh man was that thing sweet. Maybe someday...(yeah right)

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:25 AM

fishthirty is on a distinguished road

...and Im far from cheap, smoke skunk wit my peeps all day, spread love its the Brooklyn way... enjoy the new toys