The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2007, 02:58 PM

Midgeaholic is on a distinguished road
Default Cost cutting on Leaders

The flies I use on the San Juan are Very Small 22-32. I really am partial to froghair leaders which seem to have a slight edge over other brands( maybe psychological). However, froghair is expensive and a good compromise on this is using Rio leaders and using froghair as tippet. as simple as this sounds, I get asked this question(Why the froghair tippet?) all the time. I always answer: Expense and effectiveness. Another feature is that 12-15"s 7x or 8x froghair delivers those tiny midges(dry) accurately and very softly. midgeaholic
Old 11-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Cost cutting on Leaders

Hi Midgeaholic,

I also like the Frog Hair leaders and tippet material. Your idea of using a cheaper leader with the Frog Hair tippet sounds like a good idea.

When I am lucky enough to get out West to fish I don't worry about the extra cost of the Frog Hair leader. I don't get wind knots much these days so a Frog Hair leader will last for quite some time. Now if you are talking a full fluro leader then that is expensive. I have never fished with a full fluro leader, I just use a fluro tippet.

Frank
Old 11-27-2007, 05:51 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

If you want something smaller get some Varivas in 9, 10,11,12x tippet great for midges...those fish won't know what hit them...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

Many times on the San Juan and other rivers with leader shy fish or when fishing a midge... I've used 4x or 5x Cortland Fairplay Leaders (less than $2ea) with a section of 6x or 7x Frog Hair, Rio or a fluorocarbon tippet. It works great and saves a few bucks also.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

IMHO, Anything lighter than 7x is ridiculous, and a great way to kill fish by fighting them too long.

I like froghair as well, because it seems to be the most supple, and has a little more stretch to prevent break-offs.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I think Cliff is dead on target about the super light tippets. If you are catching anything on a 12X tippet it must be a mighty small trout. I never carry anything lighter than 7X. Not to say you can't catch a trout on a 12X tippet it is just so hard on the fish.

Frank
Old 11-30-2007, 05:04 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Question Re: Cost cutting on Leaders

Can someone explain the 4x,5x,7x being a salt water guy that has never fished for fresh water trout (but want to some day) most my tippets are 12# test or larger. i don't understand the x rating thing. You guys are using some really small flys too in salt the average size is probally between a size2 and 2/0. the only trout fishing in Delaware are stocked and very small, but i can be in western MD. or PA. in a few hours drive. Saltwater flyfishing seems to be more about distance than finese,big rods, big flys and big waves.
Jim
Old 11-30-2007, 06:53 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

the 12x is rated at 1.8lb's sorry guys its the same pounds for other tippet just thinner in dia..caught up to 24" browns on it..look up info on the little lehigh, in Pa..a few guys have caught fish larger on it...

if you look up x rating its the way they extrude gut in the old days..after 0x it changes to fractions then..Now you can either go by the x ratings or decimal rating (6x=.005)(40lb=.023)(7x=.004)each manufacturer can have different diameter lines..Frog hair is some of the thinnest around..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

Old 11-30-2007, 07:04 AM

VTM-308 8X - .0038" Diameter - 2.05lb. 30 Meters
VTM-309 9X - .0034" Diameter - 1.66lb. 30 Meters
VTM-310 10X - .0030" Diameter - 1.37lb. 30 Meters
VTM-311 11X - .0028" Diameter - 1.17lb. 30 Meters
VTM-312 12X - .0026" Diameter - 1.06lb. 30 Meters

Frog Hair Copolymer Tippet Material, 30 Meters 6X
3.7 lb. test
90007 Frog Hair Copolymer Tippet Material, 30 Meters 7X
2.8 lb. test

Also frog hair is considered a type of fluro...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

Old 11-30-2007, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

Lefty Kreh's explanation is as follows...

X, designates the tippet’s strength. Since nylon can frequently be of slightly different strengths for the same diameter, X is a little nebulous; however, if you want to know the approximate strength of a tippet, subtract the X number from 9 to get the strength of the tippet. For example, a 5X leader subtracted from 9 means about 4 pounds test, and a 2X tippet subtracted from 9 means a tippet strength of approximately 7 pounds.

Diameter, for correct diameter of an X designation, use a micrometer to measure the section of leader and subtract the X from .011. For example, a 5X leader subtracted from .011 should measure approximately .006. A 3X leader subtracted from .011 means that a 3X leader should have an approximate diameter of .008.