The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 07:13 PM

sorby is on a distinguished road
Default 12wt Fly Line Advice

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice with regards to fly line for my 12wt reel. I would like to know if it would be best to buy floating, intermediate or sinking line?

I will be buying a spare spool at some point but not really sure when that will be, so im just wondering which type of line would be the best all round until i get another spool.

I dont really have a species im going to target in particular as im planning on using it for any species of fish that needs a very large fly chucking at it.

Cheers

Tom
Old 05-21-2012, 07:26 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 12wt Fly Line Advice

I would figure out your line choice when you make your choice on what you are fishing for and where.

Dennis
Old 05-21-2012, 08:11 PM

Im mainly going to use it for saltwater stuff
Old 05-22-2012, 07:34 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You really can't choose a line until you know what you're going to do with it.
I'll fish a 12wt floating line in the surf at Cape Cod when the baits are big..Like 8 inches or better. Some one else might fish an intermediate in the same situation. If you're a boater an integrated line would make much more sense.
The fact is though, you're not going to need a 12wt of any kind all that often here in New England when fishing "inshore" (Even if you were out chasing blue fins, you'd want a 14wt )
If I were you, I'd wait to get something until I was sure that I had a use for it.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the info, Im moving out to Hawaii to so im planning to use it there.