The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By pab1
  • 1 Post By cptxkirk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 09:27 PM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Barbless Karma?

A couple difficult releases recently due to barbed hooks had me thinking about pinching the barbs. I'd been out a few times since then but today for some reason I started pinching the barbs on every fly I put on. I was having a great day fishing and really liking how easy it was to release the fish I was catching. After a couple hours the wind really started picking up and on a back-cast it shot my line down, slapping it into me and impaling a weighted size 8 streamer to the hook bend in my left forearm. Iíve hit myself countless times with streamers on windy days and have always been lucky not to get hooked. I feel very lucky that the day it finally happened I went barbless. There was still a small bump on the hook where the barb was but a couple good tugs and it came right out. I hate to think of what it would have been like if the barb was still on the hook.
stanbiker and ak allen like this.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:36 PM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Barbless Karma?

Funny you say this! I just learned my lesson today!

Click the image to open in full size.
williamhj likes this.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:36 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Good short vid for all y'all who have been hooked...

Old 05-22-2012, 07:42 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

This story and these pictures all put a deep tingle in the bottom of my spine!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:33 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

I've fished barbless for decades. I like the ease of removing the fly from the fish's mouth without unduly damaging the fish and I like the ease of removing them from me- three in my skin today, one from my vest, and one from my boot.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:29 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I started fishing barbless early on. I've never hooked myself (knock wood) but my first rod was a horrible 7 wt Shakespeare composite. The combination of the rod and my novice casting let me hear weighted flys zinging past my ear. I may not be the most intuitive angler around but I picked up that message really fast.
P.S. If you liked the hook removal video, find the one on here of the guy intentionally imbedding big game hooks. Instructive but YCCH!

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey