The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 03:27 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Dilemma - New vise or new stick

So i'm in the final home stretch of the PhD and hope to be done by the spring. I want to get a new piece of equipment as a little reward (as if the PhD wasnt enough)

I'm down to two items, Cottarelli vise or Kabuto White Glass custom 5 wt rod.

I tie more than i fish, so maybe it should be a no brainer - but, man, them Kabuto White blanks are sweet, especially with the red wrapping!

Addicted To Vise
Old 05-22-2012, 03:39 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice
Default Re: Dilemma - New vise or new stick

Good luck on that decision.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:30 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

After several years spent honing your reasoning skills, this should be easy. Get a vise. You have a rod already, but an exceptional vise is something that you can enjoy during the darkest of nights, and coldest of days. You'll find plenty of reasons for buying another decent rod later, but finding the justification for a high-end vise might not be there in a year or two.
williamhj likes this.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:36 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Wow man, that is a really tough call!

That vise is out of hand cool. I've never seen a double jaw vise before. It is really beautiful, and with the work you've been doing tying flies over the winter, I think you should get the vise. But that is only because I am practical to a fault.

The Kabuto is beautiful, but is it going to improve your life that much? The vise could, and if you don't buy it now as your reward - which you deserve! - will you ever? As Frank said above, you'll have plenty of opportunities and reasons/excuses to buy another rod.

Vise.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:10 PM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about

Whatever decision you make will be the right one.

If it was me, I would get the rod. A guy can never have too many fly rods.

Mr. P.'s Blog
Old 05-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Phd? Sounds like that will be the cause of spending plenty of time indoors.

Get the rod and use it as an excuse to get outside.

Like many others, I find tying time much less scarce than fishing time.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:14 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Tough! I would go with the White Kabuto, gotta love that sexy glass!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:25 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Darned interesting choices. Both danged unique products, but rods, no matter how 'unique' are a "dime a dozen." But that's one of the most unusual 'vices' I've ever seen .... gets my vote. And you can tie flies after dark.

And send some to me for a proper testing.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:18 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

That vise is pretty wild, and that would get my vote (for you) given that you seem to have a real talent and passion for tying those salmon flies.

If it were ME - and I was planning on staying in the Philly area - I would get a bigger stick and start chasing those Striped Bass on the Delaware River!

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-23-2012, 04:20 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
That vise is pretty wild, and that would get my vote (for you) given that you seem to have a real talent and passion for tying those salmon flies.

If it were ME - and I was planning on staying in the Philly area - I would get a bigger stick and start chasing those Striped Bass on the Delaware River!
I have to agree, with your talent in tying beautiful salmon flies, I'd go with the vise. Congrats on the upcoming PhD!