The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2007, 12:20 AM

jwang is on a distinguished road
Default Click and Pawl Reels

Anyone know where to get these anymore besides ebay?
Old 12-02-2007, 04:01 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Click and Pawl Reels

ebay's a good source but there are risks. too bad click and pawl reels have become scarce but there are other sources. wha size reel are you looking for and for what taget fish? even more so, what's you budget? sage makes a click and pawl reel still i think but is overkill for what those reels are usually used for (trout). i've even seen some outrageous privces for one or two new click reels out there.

another source is the used market and that doesn't always mean ebay. many collectible sites offer older reels in that style in very good condition. less risk than ebay. older orvis and hardy reels plus many low end american reels from decades ago.

here's just one: http://www.northwestclassictackle.com/catalog.html look under reels obviously...

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:22 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

any specific model, or any click and pawl??
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-02-2007, 10:36 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Try looking at Cabelas. They still sell Pffluger models.

These reels are great for smaller fish : bluegill, small trout on a light
fly rod. I grew up using these reels on a fly rod. Not much money,
but last forever. (I now have the reels that my Father & I shared
together for years. They still work quite well, even though I have
them just on display)

Tie One On
Old 12-02-2007, 03:22 PM

jwang is on a distinguished road

I'm not looking for something too fancy...just something that has an even drag and can take some ducking and other abuse.

I'm looking for a Redington CT in the 2-3 wt model but would be happy with any click and pawl under $60
Old 12-03-2007, 12:40 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i've got a couple of the CT reels. nice machined clickers. too bad they were discontinued. if you can't wait to find a CT on ebay or elsewhere, look into the bass pro white river classic machined reels. the ultralight model is a click drag system though a bit over your price point.

there are several cheap reels which might work for you though i imagine being usually cast metal, not up for a nice amount of abuse. pflueger purist? keep an eye out for a used meisselbach airex ablette 373 reel. simple design, older reel but not machined. one just sold today i think on ebay for about $40. search on ebay under the vintage fly reel section, you might find something nice. there are other makers like young whihc offered reels called condex, pridex, etc which might fit your need.

also, look on the fiberglass fly rod forum. they host a classic fly reel section which often lists these inexpensive, classicly designed click and pawl reels. there's also a for sale section which might interest you on occasion.

fiberglassflyrodders - Message Board - ezboard.com

check out this thread: Click-Pawl Reels

and don't overlook used martin reels of a few years' vintage...

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'm a big fan of the Ross Colorado reels that were discontinued a few years ago. Waterworks-Lamson makes a click version of their top of the line model, and I'd call it the tip top of the click reel ranks. fly fishing - fly fishing gear could likely get one for you. For those after a more traditional but equally exemplary reel, the Abel Creek series is awful pretty.

I know these are way higher than the price range mentioned, but I just wanted to make sure they were listed on this thread.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:02 AM

click and pawl reels... if you wanted cheap and current, check out the cortland mosquito reels. inexpensive dual click and pawls for about $27 at the full creel's site. cortland also offers the vista but both of these may not be up to hard use. still, i'd bet they would work fine under normal care. that sage would be nice but probably overkill for normal 2wt environments. now if you really had money to burn, check out the hardy lightweight series...

back to earth... if you bumped up your budget a bit, you could find the temple fork No. 1 reels for $99. it's rare to find current new clickers, i just had to mention that one too. i reelly need to get a life, huh? :-)

eric
fresno, ca.