The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2007, 11:03 AM

flyrrr61 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 8 Wts

Anyone have any comparison experience with a Sage TCR, T&T Helix, or a Winston BoronIIx in 8 wt. Primary use being in rivers and estuaries after silvers and steelhead. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:40 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 8 Wts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrrr61 View Post
Anyone have any comparison experience with a Sage TCR, T&T Helix, or a Winston BoronIIx in 8 wt. Primary use being in rivers and estuaries after silvers and steelhead. Thanks in advance.
Not exactly...POV salt but I fish a 9 wt TCR and have borrowed/fished IIx I like the TCR because it works for me with a shorter stroke...timing is important...the IIx 9wt flexes more...look at the IImx but try them before you buy...I "lawn" casted the IImx 8 through 12 really liked them better than IIx...give them a side by side trial with the same line
Old 12-02-2007, 07:33 PM

flyrrr61 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. I was not aware of the IImx vice the IIx. What is the difference? Cheers.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

From what I know of those three, the TCR will be the fastest BY FAR. For a more exhaustive review, here's an amazing report Fly Rod Comparison on 8 weight rods Albright G.Loomis G-loomis Orvis Scott Temple Fork TFO Thomas and Thomas St. Croix Orvis Zero Gravity Orvis T3 Redington CPS Albright XX Sage Xi2 Sage Z axis Loomis cross current Loomis Native Run

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Trident TLS 8wt, but recently got the BIIx. It feels like a 5wt. I love the SNAPPINESS it has....what a great rod.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:15 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

The Winston is much softer - it loads easily - than the TCR, so it might be better for steelhead. I wouldn't buy a TCR until you've cast it. They say the rod is not for everyone.

Randy Kadish
Old 12-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I would hold judgement on that till I have checked out the BIImx. It is suppose to be ............FAST?!
Old 12-04-2007, 03:30 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Try try try them out side by side...same line, same time...same shop...for $700 plus retail I would make sure...cause if I had it to do over I would try the 9 wt TCR before I built one...I tried the 8 but not the 9...the 9 is ok but not special...whereas the 10 wt TCR that I built last winter after trying one in FLA...is special and is my go to rod for everything in salt except large tarpon and only when targeting such fish in the 100 lb class but then I have never had an average or so so 10 wt from Sage they really have that wt dialed in...timing in critical with the TCR if your arm gets tired...you're in for a long day...for example I used the TCR 10 for 3 days this past July...caught bonefish permit and tarpon 60-80 lbs no problem..now late summer had to do some fishing ... so went for river smallies Indiana...after three hours of nearly constant blind casting with the 10 wt TCR my arm was "raggity" and my timing went south...and my casting was S...
Old 12-04-2007, 08:50 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Thumbs down Re: 8 Wts

Oh NO!!!! NOT the George Anderson review!

Isn't that the same one in which the rods he boasts of helping design also ended up his best picks?

Read that carefully. It really is full of holes.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Ya well.

Not saying its gospel, but there is some objective info in there that useful for comparisons.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.