The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 09:09 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default 4 pc VS. 2pc fly rods.

In my search for a new rod, ive come across some questions. 2pc or 4pc? does one perform better or worse than the other, or is there no difference? Thanks guys!!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 09:36 PM

countryfied252 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 4 pc VS. 2pc fly rods.

Im not an expert but from what i have read, teh action of a 2 piece rod has a better action than a 4 piece rod.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:14 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Other than the convenience of a 4-pc rod with respect to packing away and traveling better... I can't see what the advantage would be versus a 2-pc.

Something to consider if you think you'll be traveling with your fly rod.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-23-2012, 10:17 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I have only 1 two piece rod and I never use it since I find it annoying to transport, even just in my car. Maybe I'm missing out on a wonderful improvement in rod action by using 4 pieces, but I doubt it. Maybe I lose something, maybe not. I don't know. I do know I can get my fly where I want it and how I want it with my four piece and I find it a lot more convenient for storage, transportation and air travel.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:42 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Cast them side by side, one after the other, and see for yourself.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:58 PM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen

I like the portability of a 4 piece rod, as other stated. Plus with a 4 piece I can carry it across my back as I wade and fish, when carrying multiple rods.
"To go fishing is the chance to wash one's soul with pure air, with the rush of the brook, or with the shimmer of sun on blue water. It brings meekness and inspiration from the decency of nature, charity toward tackle-makers, patience toward fish, a mockery of profits and egos, a quieting of hate, a rejoicing that you do not have to decide a darned thing until next week. And it is discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish."
~ Herbert Hoover
Old 05-24-2012, 08:17 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

It used to be that there was a significantly better feel in 2 vs. 4 pc. rods. Much less so today as ferrule design has improved and designers employ computer programs to help account for ferrules impingement of rod flex. I fish a number of older 2 pc. rods when traveling by car and all 4 pc. models when planes are involved.

I confess to being intrigued by the Hardy Zenith one piece 8'10"/#5 which many respected anglers consider the best graphite trout rod on the planet and it will fit in my vehicle. Its vaunted superiority says this: ferrules do effect a rod designers pursuit of perfection.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:49 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
It used to be that there was a significantly better feel in 2 vs. 4 pc. rods. Much less so today as ferrule design has improved and designers employ computer programs to help account for ferrules impingement of rod flex. I fish a number of older 2 pc. rods when traveling by car and all 4 pc. models when planes are involved.
+1 to the above.

4 pc fly rods are for convenience during traveling.

2 pc rods have 2 fewer ferrules that can loosen during the cast, 2 fewer sections to line up, 2 fewer ferrules that can lock on you, 2 fewer ferrules to add weight to the fly rod, etc.

Every negative that can occur with a ferrule is tripled with a 4 pc rod. However, if you are going to fly with your equipment, all these "problems" are trumped by the convenience of being able to take the fly rods and reels with you into the passenger compartment.

You may not have a choice. Many fly rods are not even made in 2 pcs now.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 05-24-2012, 09:13 AM

matt o is on a distinguished road

For packing and traveling a 4 piece is really our only choice
Old 05-24-2012, 09:18 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Even if 2 pc is better, MOST of us will never know the difference! From what I understand they are so close in comparison these days that only the best and most discerning casters will know the difference.

I do know for certain that a 9' 2pc rod does NOT perform very well in the back of my Toyota Yaris!