The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 10:45 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Just got a new combo, did i get screwed?

Okay, this may be hi-jacking the thread.....

I just received a new Hardy Ultralight DD 5000 for my 5wt rig. Its a real looker! I immediately took it apart to switch it from left to right hand retreive. Imagine my surprise to see the exact same one-way clutch bearing as my new BVK III reel. The spool release method is different (the BVK is a lever type quick release, and the Hardy uses a threaded nut to hold the spool in place), and the bearing retention method is different (the BVK uses a spring clip, and the Hardy uses a threaded hub-type cover). The actual spindle set-up also looked suspiciously the same when the hub-style cover was removed, and the drag looks externally the same, as does the description of the drag "guts". Hmmmmm....I wonder if they may share a manufacturer in asia??? I am tempted to try and put the BVK bearing in the Hardy and see what happens.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:10 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by flats4life View Post
I just purchased a new Ross CLA 5 reel and Temple Fork BVK 9 wt. rod with case. I had the shop put line, backing and tippet on it. Both products were recommended by local shop. All in all, the rod, reel , and line cost me $550.00 pre tax. I mainly fish brackish rivers and saltwater flats (big bull reds, trout, etc.) around the Alabama Gulf Coast. Will this set up work well for me? Will the CLA 5 hold up to lots of use and abuse in these conditions. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
I dont' know anything about salt fishing, but I wonder why you waited until after you dropped $550.oo to ask if you got screwed?
Old 05-24-2012, 11:25 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I dont' know anything about salt fishing, but I wonder why you waited until after you dropped $550.oo to ask if you got screwed?
You know...I think we've all done the "live and learn" method once or twice. I still think he got some good gear, but definitely good advice here...run your decisions past the guys here on the board that have YEARS of experience fishing with and some even selling these brands. They will offer advice with no strings or $ signs attached.

If the rod casts well in your hands I think you've got a really nice rig... I wouldn't have any regrets about that setup.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:59 AM

flats4life is on a distinguished road

Dean_MT, you are definitely right to wonder why I waited until after the purchase to ask some questions. I guess it was more to get closure for the fact that I did not ask any questions before hand, haha. Anyway, Thanks for all the great input guys. I'm glad to see I signed on with a forum that actually replies, not always the case.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:57 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
Okay, this may be hi-jacking the thread.....

I just received a new Hardy Ultralight DD 5000 for my 5wt rig. Its a real looker! I immediately took it apart to switch it from left to right hand retreive. Imagine my surprise to see the exact same one-way clutch bearing as my new BVK III reel. The spool release method is different (the BVK is a lever type quick release, and the Hardy uses a threaded nut to hold the spool in place), and the bearing retention method is different (the BVK uses a spring clip, and the Hardy uses a threaded hub-type cover). The actual spindle set-up also looked suspiciously the same when the hub-style cover was removed, and the drag looks externally the same, as does the description of the drag "guts". Hmmmmm....I wonder if they may share a manufacturer in asia??? I am tempted to try and put the BVK bearing in the Hardy and see what happens.
This really has very little to nothing to do with the subject of this thread. Why not start a new one with it's own heading, other folks might be interested in this "discovery".
Old 05-26-2012, 06:44 PM

addni is on a distinguished road

IMHO, nope. BVK is a killer value for money. Just wash the rig with fresh after salt fishing and you will enjoy it for a long time