The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 10:48 PM

flats4life is on a distinguished road
Default Just got a new combo, did i get screwed?

I just purchased a new Ross CLA 5 reel and Temple Fork BVK 9 wt. rod with case. I had the shop put line, backing and tippet on it. Both products were recommended by local shop. All in all, the rod, reel , and line cost me $550.00 pre tax. I mainly fish brackish rivers and saltwater flats (big bull reds, trout, etc.) around the Alabama Gulf Coast. Will this set up work well for me? Will the CLA 5 hold up to lots of use and abuse in these conditions. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by flats4life; 05-23-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:29 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Re: Just got a new combo, did i get screwed?

The CLA is a good reel. I own a smaller version of the one you got. I dont have any experience with many TFO rods. I own a NXT 8/9wt and like it.

It seems to me you paid a fair price for the gear you got.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:44 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Keep the CLA clean. It will be fine.

Dennis
Old 05-23-2012, 11:51 PM

flats4life is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply, vans. Being pretty new to fly fishing, It was pretty difficult to choose what gear to get on a budget. I just went with my shop recommendations. Glad to hear the CLA is a solid reel.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:54 AM

kevin2 is on a distinguished road

Be happy, you have a great set up.

Oh, fly fishing equipment is expensive, very expensive. Enjoy the purchase, it will last a life time.

When you've purchased your first thousand dollar rod, just the rod, then you'll realize how great a deal you just got I figure...enjoy fishing...
Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Sounds like a good combo and the 9wt should be plenty for you. if youre still around for a while we'll need to talk, i'll be in the gulf coast next year in June and hope to wade around and stick some fish.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-24-2012, 08:57 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like they gave you honest advice. The BVK is a great value in a rod. (Google "2011 8 weight shootout" and see how well the 8 weight BVK did in an independent test against other brands costing hundreds more.) You might have saved a little bit more on another reel, but Ross is a good brand and should give you years of dependable service, which is something you might not be able to say about some of the cheaper alternatives.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:11 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Ross makes great reels, and I havn't heard too many complaints about any model that they make. There are several members that use these CLA's in large sizes and they all swear by them. The BVK is also a great value; and if it breaks (or you break it) $25 gets it fixed for you! Everyone on here that fishes with the larger BVK's thinks they perform pretty well, especially considering the price paid.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:11 AM

matt o is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a good combo, if you are new it is always a good idea to stick with the shop's recommendations until you are more comfortable picking your own gear. I will tell you that I have found Sierra Trading Post to be a great resource for good gear at a discount. They have a lot of good mid-range gear at deep discounts and they alway send out coupons.

I am in Alabama also and fish on the bay off Ft Morgan Rd.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:44 AM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough

The CLA was one of the two reels I was considering when I purchased my fly outfit last week. I ended up with the Hardy because of the look and feel in my hands, but the guys at my shop definitely liked the ross...