The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Sage Customer Service...Ugh (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/280859-sage-customer-service-ugh.html)

stlskyline 05-24-2012 12:51 PM

Sage Customer Service...Ugh

So after 1.5 yrs of buying gift certs from a local fly shop, I decided to to get a new Sage One; After fishing on four outings, noticed that every time I was putting in the rod Sock into the tube the sock /guides would catch on the tube. I asked the local shop here and they said they've heard the same complaints. emailed both customer service and products about the issue; no response; I call and CS tells me "we had the same issue when testing it out but with a little practice there is a great feeling of security once mastered" and the tube is much superior in many respects to our larger tubes". so they send me an email of photo of how the rod fits into the sock. just the way I've been doing , same result. I respond back asking if the warranty covers it. he responds back "yes improperly or properly. Again with practice this is a snap.? We have all done it here, like we learned to roll cast(response to me stating in email, I hope master a stream:not rod case)" The tube was designed by the leading designer in the industry, Jerry Seim and does have a trick to it, as it's not a beginners rod!" .......just had to vent here at work,thanks

dhayden 05-24-2012 01:04 PM

Re: Sage Customer Service...Ugh

Sorry.. that's just dumb... an expert designed it.. so it must be right? lol

And they know that people have issues with it?

Why don't they just admit.. "it saves us x dollars per tube.. "

siskiyoublues 05-24-2012 01:17 PM

That's almost comical, since it's not happening to me. (sorry!)
Sorry to hear about your frustrations.
I would have some issue with the condescending "helpful" tone of the responses but a lot gets lost in translation when it comes to email. I'd like to believe that's not his intention.

With all the things to learn and practice while fly fishing I have no interest in "learning" how to use an "advanced" rod tube.
In between practicing knots in the evening, I'll make sure to do a half a dozen in and outs with the new Sage one.
Remember, this is not a beginners rod. :D

stenacron 05-24-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhayden (Post 454142)

Why don't they just admit.. "it saves us x dollars per tube.. "

Yeah man... ever since American Airlines bragged of saving tens (hundreds) of thousands of dollars annually just by removing olives from their in-flight salads it's been a non-stop parade of trimming every possible piece of fat as a standard business practice. :o

FrankB2 05-24-2012 02:21 PM

Honestly, I sometimes get the stripper guide hung up for a second on my pre-ONE Sage rods. The ONE tube was designed to match the smaller diameter of the rod itself. Some might like that idea, and others might hate it. Tubes are a dime a dozen, and you can buy a larger diameter aluminum tube for less than $20 on ebay/Cabelas/other stores. I use a Sage 4-rod Cordura tube most of the time, as I don't want to carry multiple clanking tubes. ;)

How do you like the rod???

silver creek 05-24-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankB2 (Post 454161)
The ONE tube was designed to match the smaller diameter of the rod itself.

I would think the handle would be the thickest part of the fly rod regardless of the thinner blank.

I think that is either to set the rod tube apart from lesser rods or to save money.

dhayden 05-24-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver creek (Post 454166)
I would think the handle would be the thickest part of the fly rod regardless of the thinner blank.

Yes.. it can't change that much.. and on the rod itself the guides are much bigger anyways

stlskyline 05-24-2012 02:49 PM

I do like the rod(5wt)but sometimes it does just shoot the line out and I'm not fishing any large stream in Missouri. although it will take some time to get use too. I will be trying it on a small creek/stream in MO that supposedly has a pure strain of McClouds with no known stock since early 1900's,but still getting use to it and still switch it up with my other st. Croix's. I should prob., just fish it and get use to it. On that note they should have designed a case like they have.

sffisher 10-18-2012 07:13 PM

i have same prob with my one 4 weight rod cant get back in tube .. can you post email from sage on proper way to fit it.... :confused:

mcnerney 10-18-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sffisher (Post 492063)
i have same prob with my one 4 weight rod cant get back in tube .. can you post email from sage on proper way to fit it.... :confused:

I had the same issue, now I put the handle end in first, then the next two pieces the small end goes in first, then for the tip I put the tip end toward the top, hope that helps.

It sure didn't impress me when I saw how small that rod tube was, you can get it to work but when you are paying that much for a rod whe design a rod tube where it makes it a hassle to put away.

Larry