The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2007, 02:14 PM

hammer84 is on a distinguished road
Default 4 wt, 5wt or 6wt ?? Newbie help again

First thanks to all that responded to my last post.

I'm targeting it for trout fishing but I expect to do some pond and like fishing for practice and fun. I would guess bluegill mostly maybe a small bass here or there if it happens to bite.

Is a 6wt too much for trout ?? Do I need to get the wt that fits my target best and just not worry about the other fishing I do with it?

The 5wt looks like a good compromise but I really have not clue being so new.

thanks again !!!
Old 12-03-2007, 02:36 PM

jayraider is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 4 wt, 5wt or 6wt ?? Newbie help again

hey Hammer84,

i have a 5 wt. and a 7 wt., and usually tend to use the 5 wt. for every kind of fishing. It is not too light for trout and it is strong enough for a bass if you can hook up with one. I feel since you are a beginner, that a 5 wt. would give you the versatility to fish a various range of species! Once you have acquired a good casting technique from lots of practice, then a 4 wt. would be a lot of fun. I want to get a 3 wt. for trout fishing, but a tying vise is next on the list! Good luck man and stick with it!
Old 12-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

If I had to pick one trout rod, it would be a 4wt. But if I lived, say, near the Metolius River or where I'd be fishing mostly large rivers, I'd pick a 5wt.

With a 5wt and an 8wt, you're well prepared for about 95% of the fishing in North America, both Fresh and Salt. (a 4wt and a 7wt sets you up nearly as well, and lets you feel the fish more)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:03 PM

wlschindler is on a distinguished road

I agree with Cliff and love a 4wt. for trout and panfish. The problem is that you also mentioned bass. I believe that the most all around rod is the 6wt. and if I could only own 1 rod that would be it.

I do a lot of big river fishing and love to fish for bass and striper with a fly rod (what a rush). You can get away with a 6, but really need an 8. I started with a 6 wt and fished it for years. Then I needed (wife didn't agree) and bought an 8 wt. Now the 6 wt was too heavy and I needed to get a 4 wt. See the problem on why nobody will give you a straight answer. On the brighter side, competitive bass fisherman usually have over 20 rods on their boats.

Bottom line is that light tackle is more challenging which I like (Thinking about getting a 2 for creeks and panfish). But, if you are like my son where fish landed is what matters most, you would prefer to go heavy. Don't worry about it too much, just get a rod and have fun with it. You can worry about the other stuff later.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

"If I could only own one rod..." is really a fairly ridiculous phrase. It's not like they take up half of the average garage, drink 15 gallons of dinosaur tea per week and cost $1500k/yr to insure. Add to that the fact that the average person who uses the phrase likely owns 4 or more rods.

Fly rods are too much fun to own only one. (sounds like the slogan for a chip mfg I grew up in the shadow of) Choose them carefully, but don't expect to find permanent satisfaction with only one.

I'm not saying you as a noob were foolish to ask the question, just that most of us who use the phrase as we're making a recommendation wouldn't be very willing to have only one rod. (no offense meant to wlschindler either) I just wanted to throw out some perspective gained from lots of time on such matters.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:25 PM

hammer84 is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all. I bought a 5wt 270 reel and rod.

I do see a another rod in my future, maybe two

As a bass fisherman I do have quite a bunch of rods and reels, so needing more than one rod to get the job done is not a problem.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Now if I can just figure out what the different fly line do........................

Myke
Old 12-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

A WFF line is what you'll need for most all of your fishing. A 5wt SA Headstart line or Cortland 444 line would serve you well.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:37 PM

Midgeaholic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer84 View Post
First thanks to all that responded to my last post.

I'm targeting it for trout fishing but I expect to do some pond and like fishing for practice and fun. I would guess bluegill mostly maybe a small bass here or there if it happens to bite.

Is a 6wt too much for trout ?? Do I need to get the wt that fits my target best and just not worry about the other fishing I do with it?

The 5wt looks like a good compromise but I really have not clue being so new.

thanks again !!!
A 5wt is an excellent choice, I am partial to 4wt myself. If the bluegills are of good size try a 7' 3wt Midgeaholic
Old 12-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Here in the Rocky Mountains, Trout is the main target. Browns, Cutts and Rainbows along with Brookies. We have a fair share of waters with Bass both LM and SM along with Crappie, Bluegill and Perch.
I took a FULL FLEX (very similar to fishing Bamboo) up to a a lake that is famous for there Large Bluegill (Pelican) along with bass. The tip of my rod darn near touched my hand with those FRYING PAN Bluegills. What a blast.
I teach all my New comers to go with a 5wt. I think it is the PERFECT trout rod. Not too much on the smaller fish and a darn good welcome on the larger. 5wt is my rod of choice on the lower Provo.
I do think you could get by with one rod. However a backup is always a good idea just like that spare tire.
Once you really get into catching, casting and become one with the 5wt, them look at a lighter rod to keep it fresh. I will occassionally even take a 2wt to the middle for kicks. You will know when it is time to try something new.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:23 AM

Flyrodder is on a distinguished road

Hammer84: I have a 5wt. 270 rod also and love it. I bought a 4wt. 270 and its the best Bluegill rod I've used. Flyrodder