The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By FISHN50
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By Noiso

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 04:37 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Fly Dope

I came across this article & thought it worth sharing..

Fed up Mainers say,
fredaevans and ak allen like this.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:06 PM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen
Default Re: Fly Dope

good article
"To go fishing is the chance to wash one's soul with pure air, with the rush of the brook, or with the shimmer of sun on blue water. It brings meekness and inspiration from the decency of nature, charity toward tackle-makers, patience toward fish, a mockery of profits and egos, a quieting of hate, a rejoicing that you do not have to decide a darned thing until next week. And it is discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish."
~ Herbert Hoover
Old 05-25-2012, 10:17 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

This is very timely for me.
As of next weekend I'll be into the thick of black fly season in the north Maine woods. I've been unfortunate enough to have dealt with this before and there was this one time I remember where it was so bad that I remember diving into the river fully clothed to escape the hordes.

I'm sure that my fishing partner does not realize what I've gotten him into.
I've told him to bring a head net and some 100% but other than that I've kept him in the dark. May the lord of the forest forgive me !
Black flies, also known as "the protectors of the north country" rule the running waters during the height of trout season and unless you can some how immune yourself, you're toast
http://www.mainecampsite.com/blackfly.htm
FISHN50 likes this.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:04 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Lee Wulff wrote of immunity to black fly bites following an acute contraction of what his Indian guide called "fly fever". According to the article he wrote for one of the magazines titled "Wealth of Years", he said he came down with it following thousands of black fly bites while deep in the north woods after running out of bug juice. Rip Tide, I believe, found the article in which Lee talked about the advantages of the "Golden Years" - his black fly immunity being one of them.

He was incapicated by the fever for a couple days, but after his recovery they never bit him agaiin.

I used to wear a head net and slather up with "Old Woodsman" when it was legal then afterwards with "Skin so Soft" followed by "Off" (and a head net) - a big one that could be worn over a fishing hat.

PS: Note that the "skin so soft" must be used liberally enough to drown them. It doesn't actually repel them. But they don't bite while they are drowning. In this case, more is better.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:47 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

I have to wonder if this stuff will attract bobcats and mountain lions!

Click the image to open in full size.
"Is it the elk or is it my catnip aftershave?"

~
FISHN50 likes this.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 05-26-2012, 08:59 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Did the guy taking the photo run off right after taking the picture?
Old 05-26-2012, 01:53 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

I remember my oldest sons first trip to the north Maine woods. The bug dope only seems to attract them, and we didn't have head nets yet. When he went to school on Monday, the teacher sent him home because she thought he had chicken pox. It took quite a bit to convince her it was only fly bites! (and that he already had the chicken pox)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?myiy32
Old 05-26-2012, 02:23 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
Did the guy taking the photo run off right after taking the picture?
I actually found the photo on Google Images. The article said it was a photoshop fake and even had the original mt. lion photo. The story was that the guy was by himself and took the pic with a self timer. When he saw the photo the next day he soiled himself! Funny pic and story regardless.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 05-26-2012, 03:04 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Fly Dope

Odd as it may seem 'biting bugs' are pretty rare here in Southern Oregon. A damned good thing me thinks.