The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 08:32 AM

legrand will become famous soon enough
Default Leaky Waders

I have own now for a few years a pair of breathable Williams Joseph waders.

Use them to open and close the pool during colder water temperature. Noticed twice now this past few weeks, that when I take them off, I have the crotch area of my clothes wet / damp. No, no it's not what you might think.

Only thing I can assume is that the water slowly seeps-in by the tread/seam area, since I did not noticed any punctures or rips.

Any possible solution to my problem, like putting some silicone or sealant on the seams?
Old 05-26-2012, 08:52 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaky Waders

Take your waders with you and go into a dark room with a flashlight. Put the flashlight inside the waders and run it along the seams to find the holes. Mark that area with a pen on the inside of course, and then use Aqua Seal. The trick with Aqua Seal is that a little goes a long way. Can't stress that point enough.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:55 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

If breathable waders are dirty they will seep . Try washing them with a mild detergent in the tub, make sure they are rinsed off thoroughly & a rejuvenator like ReviveX works. Ck out these sites.
How to Clean Breathable Waders | Trails.com
Washing Breathable Waders | MidCurrent
I had a pair that i had rolled up wet & forgot about in the car. The next time I went to use them there was mold on the outside, plus the smell & they leaked. I washed them & used ReviveX & got another few years out of them.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:31 PM

legrand will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Seems there is a dealer of Revivex in Ottawa, ON (at Mountain Equipment).

Going to do all the steps (flashlight trick, washing and rinsing the waders, drying them in and out, and then applying the Revivex (or Aqua-Seal) and heating it afterwards with hair-dryer to activate the stuff on the waders.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:38 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Aqua Seal works great.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:48 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

Simms has a YouTube video about leaky waders. They spray them with rubbing alcohol and then turn them inside out. The leaks show up easily so you can apply the aqua seal

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?sjzl2o
Old 05-26-2012, 03:22 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanbiker View Post
Simms has a YouTube video about leaky waders. They spray them with rubbing alcohol and then turn them inside out. The leaks show up easily so you can apply the aqua seal

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?sjzl2o
This really only works well with GorTex; dang it!
Old 05-26-2012, 04:03 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
This really only works well with GorTex; dang it!
Precisely why I went the direction of the flashlight in a dark room. Good call fred

It might not be a bad idea to give them a good wash and use the Revivex on them before doing the test. This way you may uncover some additional spots to repair and the seal may hold a little better if clean. Good call on cleaning. Revivex works very well, when I've used it and have always been very pleased with the results.

Legrand, as a suggestion on where to find Revivex, you can also look on Amazon or possibly an online fly shop North of the border.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:26 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you 41, and over time the darned things will just 'ware out' and loose the 'water proof.' Worst thing you can do (My Bad!) is leave the things in the back of your Jeep on lots of hot summer days. Regardless of the material ... they don't like that.

Not a bit.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Worst thing you can do (My Bad!) is leave the things in the back of your Jeep on lots of hot summer days. Regardless of the material ... they don't like that.
Despite the fact that I have much love for fellow Jeep owners, waders left in the back of any vehicle is never a good thing. Long travel notwithstanding, mine are drying as soon as I get off the water and have a pace to hang them. Dry them inside out first, then flip them and dry the outside. A shop owner once gave me that advice and I've stuck to the practice since then.