The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 09:49 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on a good 6 Wt. fly rod

I like it up here in the Poconos. It's little fish, but the freestone creeks are really special. Just standing in a creek and looking around can give you a lift for the whole day. Sandfly gave some of the good creeks up here: Bushkill Creek, particularly around the Resica Falls Scout camp, Broadhead Creek, but it's mostly private water now. My favorites are: Mud Run, in an around the Hickory Run State Forest, the Upper Lehigh River near Blakeslee, and Tobyhanna Creek, around Tobyhanna / Pocono Pines. The fish are mostly native Brookies (6-10'), which have really vivid markings in the mid-Fall, native Browns (8-15") and an occosional native Rainbow (10-18"). I'm being liberal whenI say "native" for the Browns and Rainbows, but a lot of them are spawned in these creeks now; even though there is a pretty rigorous stocking program in many of the Pocono creeks; some to the point of being rediculous "fish-in-a-barrel type fishing" - not for me.

Cane - one of my real failings this year. I picked up on the esthetics aspect, decided to take a short money foray into cane fishing and made bad choice of rods. Picture a sheepish expresson when I say this, but I bought a Chinese-made cane rod. Yes, it was a mistake. No, it doesn't cast worth a damn. No, I will not repeat that mistake again.

One note. A lot of the best small stream fishing in the Poconos is in very tight quarters; lots of trees right down to the water's edge, low overhanging rhodendrons, fallen trees, etc. It's mostly pocketwater. I use a 7' 4 wt. in these environs and it works very well. A long cast in these waters is 45', most are on the order of 25-30' - ideal, I think, for that sized and weighted rod.

Hope that helps regarding fishing here in the Poconos.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:21 PM

burns is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Advice on a good 6 Wt. fly rod

Take a look at the Echo2, 6 weight - I've heard good things. Plus, you get 2 tips that provide two different actions. There is a "distance" tip and an "accuracy" tip.