The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 08:15 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Streamers & Light Rods

Ive only ever fished a streamer on a 6wt rod. The spot I am going tomorrow I typically take one of the following

TXL 3710-3
TXL 4710-3
Z-Axis 490-4

Anyone here have any input on using a size 6 streamer on the TXL specifically the 3wt, or should I just take the 4 wts. We are also getting some BWO /Mayfly hatches right now so just figuring what rig to take so I can hit both flies on the same rod.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Streamers & Light Rods

I use a 7' 9" 5 weight for almost all trout fishing situations. On occasion I use streamers up to #4 & 2's on a 6' 6" bamboo flea that takes a 3 weight line. if you use a level leader of at least 8 pound fluorocarbon you will do fine. One must develope a casting style to accommodate the use of large wet flies with light rods but once you find your niche it'll just be normal to use them. The only way you'll get it figured out is to do it. If I can do it then anyone can

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-27-2012, 08:48 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Thanks Ard,

I typicallly use 6x tippet so somewhere in the 3-4lb test range but I will bring some 5x too. I just plan on following last weeks theory of if nothing is hitting dries or nymphs throw streamers. The river I am going to typically is 50' wide at its widest and averages probably 3-4' deep so I cant imagine Ill throw a super heavy streamer. Possibly a size 6 with a beed type head.

The fish range 10-14" and arent "hogs" so I should be ok.

Problem is I am rigging for two as my buddy who is coming doesnt have a good small stream rod. I am going to bring both my 9' 4wts and both my TXL's.

My wife always laughs as I leave to fish for a few hours and I take 5 rods. Im not as bad as my buddy I went with last week. He took two 6 wts, one 5wt,two 4wts, and a 3wt with reels for all and spare spools with different lines for the bigger reels. I guess it is better to take it and not need it than vice versa.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:04 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

When using a streamer with a bead or cone head, work very carefully as you get the feel for the casting of them. Striking the tip top of a light rod with a weight can ruin a day. I was back east last week and on medium streams with my 5 weight I used a single hand Spey snap T type cast with my streamers. Once you are on to it the casting can be pleasurable and since there is no overhead back casting the chances of whacking the tip are greatly reduced.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-28-2012, 09:53 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have experience with the TXL in 3 wt, but I do own a 470 TXL. I fished size 10's and 12's with it one day and it did not handle them incredibly well IMHO. Assuming the stream you are fishing allows enough room, I would take out the Z Axis. That rod is capable of tossing a much wider range of flies and does so exceptionally well. Several weeks ago I had my 490 out and threw everything in my boxes--streamers, nymphs, midges, dries with ease. The versatility of that rod makes it almost an automatic choice unless I'm doing more technical types of fishing or fishing small streams. BTW, if you're throwing #6's, you might want to take along some 2-3X and maybe some 4 if you want to dial it down.

The TXL, at least for me, is a small stream rod best suited for smaller flies, YMMV. A fun rod to fish with, but not my choice if I want to fish a wide range of sizes and types of flies. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:46 AM

Thanks guys,

I have loaded up the Zaxis and Legend Ultra 4wts in 9' . I will bring the TXL 4710 in case my buddy only wants to fish everything but streamers.

Sportsmans Warehouse here I come for some 3x

Happy Memorial Day everyone, thinking of my Grandpa who served in Burma India in WWII and all the other vets and families of vets today.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:52 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

I fish the same Orvis Far and Fine as Ard is talking about as well as a couple of shorter cane rods built for 4s and 5s and fish streamers all the time on smaller waters. Keep in mind smaller waters dont always mean smaller fish. No problems at all. The technique specific rod craze is blown way out of proportion if you ask me.