The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 09:58 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly Shops and YOU!

Take a trip over to De Pere and check out Tight Lines Fly Shop.
A very good one. There are some short comings but overall pretty good.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:57 AM

joebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura about

I have a good Bass Pro Shop story - last July my family took a trip to visit my sister-in-law in Michigan for a week - knowing that Michigan is a fly fishing destination, my son and I bring all our gear - unfortunately, we were staying in lower southwest Michigan,( during a heat wave) and discovered that the famous rivers for trout and steelhead were 5+ hour drives north of us, not practical for our schedule - looking at reports online yielded little info - we stopped in a Bass Pro Shop just south of the border in Indiana just to check it out - never been in one before - the old fella tending the fly fishing dept. started talking to us and I told him we were hoping to get into steelhead without driving too far - he told us about a few spots he knew, turned us on to these heavy crawdad flies they sold ($5.99 each!) "yeah they're expensive, but they work" and called over another employee who offered a couple more spots on local rivers, he even told us that we could say we were guests of his local fishing club to access certain places! - Hey, we're just a couple of guys from New York looking for a day of fly fishing on the blind, and they're offering up their honey-holes! Then they call over another younger fella who also works as a local guide and he tells us to try a place only 15 mins away from where we're staying - Sure enough, we go to this narrow creek running alongside and under 2 interstate highways and we are into fish! My son landed a nice steelie on one of those $6 crawdad flies underneath the I94 overpass!! Here's to the staff of that Bass Pro Shop for making our day!
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:10 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I am a selfish consumer. As a result, I want a store that has what I want and in stock. If there are a couple things here and there that are occasionally out of stock; no biggie.

One thing I absolutely hate is when I decide to visit a small local shop and their solution to not having something is "I can order that for you". At this point, I am pretty much done. Of course they can order it...so can I!

I realize that it cost a lot to keep inventory in stock and have a huge selection. I really do, but that's what I want and so often the little guys just don't have that.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:26 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I have 2 fly shops within a mile of each other on the same road. One has a much larger selection and more higher end gear, as thats the sort of clientel that shops there. The other shop has a slightly smaller selection but will order you anything you could possibly want, plus there is a group of regulars thats always there and friendly. I much prefer that shop, in fact I hang out with a bunch of guys up there after hours during the week and we drink beer, bbq and tell tall tales of adventures. Plus it never hurts that the owner is a crazy good rod builder.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-29-2012, 03:10 PM

stlskyline will become famous soon enough
Default StlGeoff

I completely agree. If they dont have it they will order it. Plus if there's not something cookin on the potbelly stove, there is always a cold beer in the fridge. Plus thought I heard the other place is one of the larger online dealers. Plus I don't pretend to know everythIng and when they're talking to someone else I just take a seat at the fly table and pick up some tips and fishing knowledge.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:57 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

I really appreciate good gear. Not necessarily all the gear in the world just a few of the available products from a few different producers.

I like it when fly shop personnel do the leg work and figure out what is best and then tell me why its best.

When you're small it is a difficult task because reps that have the best lines require you to buy so much of their lines.

Our shop is a good little shop but they are just getting hammered by the large supply of large stores that can easily stock a lot more product. Cabelas, Sports Authority, Sportsmans Warehouse....
Old 05-29-2012, 04:53 PM

joebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura about

..and for those who fish the Salmon River in Pulaski, NY, compare the many fly fishing shops there- are you more into the Fat Nancy's scene or Whitaker's and the like?
Old 05-30-2012, 08:24 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: StlGeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlskyline View Post
I completely agree. If they dont have it they will order it. Plus if there's not something cookin on the potbelly stove, there is always a cold beer in the fridge. Plus thought I heard the other place is one of the larger online dealers. Plus I don't pretend to know everythIng and when they're talking to someone else I just take a seat at the fly table and pick up some tips and fishing knowledge.
You know whats up with the shops.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

There is one over in Anchorage that I've made my now & then hangout. They carry a huge selection of some of the best that can be had in tackle and all forms of accessories as well. The manager of the fly shop has good experience with darn near anything I could want to discuss and if he doesn't know he says so. The area is spacious enough that you don't feel claustrophobic but is far from the big box store feeling. if you ever get to Anchorage visit Mountain View Sports on Old Seward highway and you'll get what I mean. They also have a pretty good web site if you're not coming this way soon

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-30-2012, 03:10 PM

matt o is on a distinguished road

Attitudes of the owner is critical. Many are snobs and I will avoid a shop just based on that. Outside of that classes, guide trips and knowledge of local water is critical.

I think most big ticket items can be had for cheaper online, so I don't really use the local shop for that. I do go there for flies, tackle and tying materials.

Also many fly shops are actually just outdoor clothing shops and have very minimal gear. That really makes me mad