The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 02:09 PM

lbz_2006 is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Shops and YOU!

I am just curious as to where in from (central Wisconsin) Fly shops arnt the norm and well arnt the greatest. So i am wondering what makes/breaks a fly shop for you, what do you look for first, are you more worried about the atmosphere/friendliness of the Fly Shops employees, or do you want to see high end rods and reels everywhere, guide service or no guide service, custom rod building/rod repair? Any feedback is appreciated TIGHT LINES!
Old 05-28-2012, 02:36 PM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fly Shops and YOU!

Fly tying materials.
More fly tying materials.
Friendly and knowledgeable staff.
Even more fly tying materials.

I get really tired of going into fly shops and they have practically nothing in the way of tying materials.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:43 PM

Haha I know what you mean haha we have a gander mountain which is about the only place to buy tying materials and they have a decent selection of neon colored stuff for bass/pike/ and streamers but thats about it haha...
Old 05-28-2012, 02:44 PM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen

What disappoints me is a lack of selection. I hate when they only carry some rods from a few brands, or only waders from one brand. I need a fly shop that's like a bass pro for fly fishing! Somewhere I can compare 3wt's from several manufacturers side by side. (big & small, cheap & expensive) And staffed correctly, people that know their stuff, and that are passionate about it.
HuronRiverDan and Noiso like this.
"To go fishing is the chance to wash one's soul with pure air, with the rush of the brook, or with the shimmer of sun on blue water. It brings meekness and inspiration from the decency of nature, charity toward tackle-makers, patience toward fish, a mockery of profits and egos, a quieting of hate, a rejoicing that you do not have to decide a darned thing until next week. And it is discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish."
~ Herbert Hoover
Old 05-28-2012, 02:47 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Friendliness. Non-snobbery. Great advice and suggestions for the local waters. Good fresh stock of ephemeral type gear like flies, leaders, tippet, floatant, etc.

A mixture of high end and less pricey gear is nice too.

Are you thinking of opening a shop?
mcnerney likes this.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 05-28-2012, 02:54 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

feeling welcomed. if the owner is sitting acting like he/she doesnt want to be there or talk to you i dont want to be there. i like having fl tying/casting classes at fly shops. all sorts of things.
this also has to do with welcoming. give me a reason not to go to bass pro which has slightly better prices. Local shops have advantages in information and help. use those to your advantage!
mcnerney, tbblom and theboz like this.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:00 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Tying materials selection and helpful staff. We have a number of shops in my area (Denver) and tons between home and the rivers I fish. I've found two that have both good tying selection and helpful staff (I think there are a couple others, just haven't been there). One close to home has good selection but the folks are generally rude and arrogant and others have helpful folks but very little selection. Know a few other good ones out in the mountains though I have found a good number that are geared towards guiding and don't have much in the way of materials.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:01 PM

Yes I am! haha....The thing is no one in my family fishes at all, well atleast fly fishing they all bass fish which is to me like trying to shoot the sky(no offense to bass fisherman). And being only 20 years old, and fly fishing for two years and learning as much as possible by reading, I figure take advantage of being young and open up a fly shop, it will one be a job i can learn more about fly fishing from actual fly enthusiasts. And working in a factory for the rest of my life does not sound fun haha...So yes i am trying to figure out what people want and I figured ive posted on this forum before and all the people on here are very friendly. I love fishing and just feel like I need to spread the love. And having an actual fly shop I could teach the people in my generation and actually everyone that the more we protect our waters the more fun the oncoming generations will have!
Old 05-28-2012, 03:13 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Feeling welcome is the key as Grass said. I have 2 fly shod neat my house one a mile away one three miles . I go the three miles not because he has more stuff or better prices they are both about the same. But the one I go to is friendly and as helpful as can be. Thera always 3 or 4 guys tying and ready to give advice to anyone who asks. Stream reports are easy to get because athe guides hang out there.
On the flip side the other shop the owner is a grouch and gives advice like he was giving away his first born. And most of the time there is Boone to be found in the shop till your at the register. The shame of it is this guy is a good tier as well as fisherman but somewhere along the line he missed the courtesy boat. Someone like him should consider a non people business.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-28-2012, 04:32 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

High quality materials for BOTH warm and cold water species, high quality gear, and friendly/knowledgeable staff. I will spend more money every single time if I like the shop owner or employee who I'm talking to. If I feel they're full of it, I'm out without spending a dime. If I was thinking of opening a shop, my first step would be to visit as many as possible. I'd also probably go be a shop rat for a few years to get the experience that you will need. Then come to grips with the fact that owning a small business like that probably will not make you rich. If you think that you'll be happy doing it though, I'd say do it!