The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Could this be a concern?

Just saw this story on a local news site and it made me wonder....
Radioactive bluefin tuna crossed the Pacific to US | ksl.com

My understanding is that Salmon and Steelhead migrate from their natal waters in Alaska, British Columbia and the Pacific North West up and across the Pacific Ocean, down as far as the Sea Of Japan and back across the Pacific to where they were born. Will these fish pick up radio active contamination as the Blue Fin have? They feed on some of the same things, Baby Squid, etc...

What say you?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-29-2012, 09:14 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could this be a concern?

Around here, any bluefin that makes it to the docks is bought up and shipped to Japan within hours.
A good harvest can pay for a new boat and many people fish for them for that reason.
Quote:
Japanese consume 80 percent of the world's Pacific and Atlantic bluefin tuna.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Interesting.

It sounds like the levels of radiation are minor, and unlike mercury, not permanent-

Quote:
The levels of radioactive cesium were 10 times higher than the amount measured in tuna off the California coast in previous years. But even so, that's still far below safe-to-eat limits set by the U.S. and Japanese governments.

Previously, smaller fish and plankton were found with elevated levels of radiation in Japanese waters after a magnitude-9 earthquake in March 2011 triggered a tsunami that badly damaged the Fukushima Dai-ichi reactors.

But scientists did not expect the nuclear fallout to linger in huge fish that sail the world because such fish can metabolize and shed radioactive substances.
That's good news for us, but who knows if this radioactivity will harm the salmon and steelhead, which are already in decline? They definitely eat the same small squid the bluefin do.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be watching for more information on this, in the mean time here's another story from NBC Nightly News.
msnbc.com Video Player

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

We haven't heard anything about salmon being affected here. My first thought was that perhaps it would make them bigger

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-30-2012, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
We haven't heard anything about salmon being affected here. My first thought was that perhaps it would make them bigger
Hah, I think even for a Photoshop virtuoso, "Chinook the Hulk" would be a challenge.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:17 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
It should atleast make them easier to catch at night once they start glowing
Old 05-30-2012, 08:43 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Swirlchaser you beat me to it...LOL

You don't see a lot in the news, but my understanding is that at least one of the damaged nuke plants are still spewing radioactive matter to the environment...

Dan
Old 05-30-2012, 05:45 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

We are what we eat, maybe I won't need a flashlite at night anymore, salmon fishing has been great on the bay this year, I'm not throwing them back at $20.00 a lb.

Rick
Old 05-30-2012, 05:59 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

Swirl chaser and Dan,

What is night?? (oh, it's that thing that happens in winter)