The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 10:02 AM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Visiting Pocono Mountains in July

Any good rivers? What kind of flies should I bring?

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:08 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future
Default Re: Visiting Pocono Mountains in July

What do you want to fish for? Where the river the streams the lakes the ponds? The fishing here is awesome and a lot of variety. Let me know what you want to do and I'll give you a breakdown . What part of the Poconos are you going to be in and I can be more specific.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-29-2012, 10:09 AM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about

I'll be mostly hanging around the Buck Hill/Skytop area. I have a job out there I'm doing but I'm hoping to get some time in the mornings to go fishing somewhere.

I'm not sure what I'm after. I guess trout. I've never fished a lake with a fly rod so I'm not even sure what I'd need.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:20 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

I guide at Skytop. You can fish there stream and lake but it's pricey. There are a bunch of good trout waters nearby small streams with natives. The Delaware is close and the smallies will be the hot ticket in July near where you will be. Farther up river the wild trout fishery is one of the finest anywhere. As far as flys depends on stream hatches for the trout although I do most of mine with streamers. For smallies clousers and poppers and leech patterns depending on where and when your at the river .
Old 05-29-2012, 10:30 AM

They charge to use the river?

That's the Poconos for you!

Ok thanks. I'll take a look on that map for that hatchery. That's a great tip.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:38 AM

They charge to use the stream at Skytop lodge .only mentioned it cause that is the only fishing in Skytop. Everything else is free.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:09 AM

Oh, only at the lodge. Phew! That makes sense. Do you fish nymphs, drys or both?

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

Oh sorry, already answered the fly question! Thanks again.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:38 AM

Streamers , beadheads and hatch of the day.Look for caddis in July.

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

There's at least a dozen fishable streams within a 10 mile radius of your area.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:54 PM

Dumb question: Are the caddis patterns the same as the ones here in Colorado or should I find a fly shop?
Old 05-29-2012, 07:19 PM

Same. Probably the size you use are larger. #14,16and18s are about right at most of the local streams. If you go to nymphs beadhead pheasant tail #12, 14 are good.