The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 03:33 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Zero bag limit accidental kill

Tough question. Is it better to have a plauged conscience or break the law and possibly deal with a fine or fee? I've never been in this situation but would probably keep the fish.

That being said I once hooked a LITTLE bluegill on a false cast and the hook enetered his stomach, slicing upwards due to the momentum of the false cast. I felt bad, and let him go knowing with inestine showing he probably would not live long. Too little to eat, mabe sme other bird or fish got a meal out of it though.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:38 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Thats the bad thing about catch and release or zero catch, we know when a fish should be able to survive, unblead and as less stress as possible, we have to let them go no mater what. I wish they could all have lived after I have released them, I still fish.

Rick
Old 05-30-2012, 09:18 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

Simple answer...accidentally killing a fish is exactly that; an accident. Keeping an accidentally killed fish, no matter what the intent, is a decision to violate the regulations. Commend it's body to the deep. As others have said, it will not go to waste.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:08 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

For me in a C&R situation if there's the slightest chance it will survive I'll put the effort in to revive. Bit if it's gone and no chance due to a gill mishap or other accident I will take it. Just don't like to leave a floater for the next guy to see or deal with. I know when I see it it really bothers me. I have enough confidence in my ability to state the facts and tell the truth that if I do run into a conservation officer that I will explain to him exactly why I kept the accidentally killed fish. Yes it may be taking a chance but I feel better not leaving a carcass laying around for someone else to see and start their day off on the wrong foot.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser