The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 01:11 PM

flats4life is on a distinguished road
Default Websites for fly fishing gear????

Hey guys, I know most everyone has their go-to fly fishing websites that has all your favorite gear. With that being said, I wanted to know if anyone is willing to share some of these sites with the rest of us.

Thanks,
Galen
Old 05-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Websites for fly fishing gear????

Hi Galen,

Welcome to the forum I've used the web more for finding tying materials as far as web sites go. For gear I usually know the specific rod or reel in advance and have bought many off of the auction site. I may be an anomaly in that I am often looking for vintage gear as opposed to the new items on the market.

When buying off the web sites as well as from an auction seller I would recommend asking plenty of questions and paying close attention to the speed and thoroughness of the communications from the seller. The most common flaw in ordering from a mysterious entity is a lack of communication if there should arise a problem. All of the major tackle manufactures maintain web presence and if they don't do retail from the sites they offer a 'Find a Dealer' tab on most.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-30-2012, 04:37 PM

redyote is on a distinguished road

Angler's Lane is good. For clearance there's Sierra Trading Post, flyshopcloseouts, Ramsey Outdoors. I've bought from Angler's Xtream too. ezflyfish, riverbum, and then the contented angler. These are the ones I frequent.

But the only reason I buy so much online is because there are no flyshops near me. I lived near Memphis, but Tommy Bronson's didn't carry much. Now I live near Chattanooga and the two shops that were there closed. It's either buy online or drive 3 hours.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:16 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by redyote View Post
Angler's Lane is good. For clearance there's Sierra Trading Post, flyshopcloseouts, Ramsey Outdoors. I've bought from Angler's Xtream too. ezflyfish, riverbum, and then the contented angler. These are the ones I frequent.

But the only reason I buy so much online is because there are no flyshops near me. I lived near Memphis, but Tommy Bronson's didn't carry much. Now I live near Chattanooga and the two shops that were there closed. It's either buy online or drive 3 hours.
Another vote here for STP and flyshopcloseouts. Also Hook & Hackle, Badger Creek Fly Tying, Fishwest, Leland, and flytyingfurs. The Essential Fly is a shop in England ships to the US and takes orders in US$ but carries some stuff (like Glo-Brite floss, for instance) that's hard to find in the US.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:24 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I try and do as much with my local shop as I can, but when I buy off the net I use these. Have done business with all of them and they are top notch. In no particular order:

Leland Fly Fishing Outfitters

Red Truck Fly Fishing

Madison River Fishing Company - Ennis, Montana

Stillwater Outfitters

Feather-Craft Fly Fishing

Fishwest Online Fly Shop

North Platte River Fly Shop, Wyoming Fishing Guides And Outfitters

Last edited by jaybo41; 06-01-2012 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Fixed links.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:53 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I'll second some of those in addition to the ones I mentioned before. I've likewise had good experiences buying from Red Truck (your link says Tiemco, but it's really another website maintained by the same folks as Leland), Madison River, Feather-Craft, and North Platte.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:37 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I use Fishwest when i cant find what i want at a local shop. I have made quite a few purchases from them. Seems like a quality operation.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:00 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

My favorite on line shops, all are good folks, similar prices and FAST Shipping.
The Caddis Fly Shop

The Blue Quill Angler

Dream Drift Flies
Old 06-02-2012, 09:25 AM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

We do not have a shop near us so I rely almost entirely on the web. I like to get things close so they get here quickly, so I get most of my stuff from flyfishusa, anglers workshop, or the Caddis fly shop. I also use others mentioned above. For spey tying and stuff I try to get everything from the Red Shed in Peck, ID.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:01 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

We have a cabelas, sportsmans warehouse and a scheels nearby, so I get a lot of stuff at one of these three. Our little fly shop, which I used to frequent, went out of business a little bit ago (the reno fly shop).

for online flies I by them from the Trout Spot (a vendor on this site now), for materials I sometimes get them from Steven Ojai - Fly fishing the sierras, he has or has access to a decent selection of the stuff I use, and I was able to get dry fly hackle from him when it could not be gotten elsewhere due to the hair dresser issue over the last couple years.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.