The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2007, 12:41 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Question Streamers w/Stinger Hooks ???

Ever use a streamer with a stinger hook ?
If so, what size stinger do you use on your streamer ?
How do you attach the stinger to the main fly ?

I have been tying some larger sized streamers for Michigan
chrome torpedos (better known as steelhead) & have found
that they many times will spit a single hook fly. With a
stinger on the tail end I seem to have a better chance
getting them to the drift boat.

I typically will use a size 10 scud hook attached to the main
fly with a short section of 20lb Maxima. I will bind the Maxima
down on the main fly with thread wraps & then a little drop of
Zap-a-Gap. Once it's dry I finish tying the main fly.

Most all of the streamers I have been tying use strips of rabbit
on the back side & swim great on the swing. I also will take the
stinger hook & just barely hook it into the rabbit strip. This keeps
it from catching on sub-surface debris.

I'd be interested in anyone's methods or ideas,

Tie One On
Old 07-16-2009, 07:40 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Streamers w/Stinger Hooks ???

In the river I prefer a streamer hook, and no stinger. On still water I like a stinger without the streamer hook. One hook should be enough for anybody. Remember to strip set!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I like this idea with the spectra loop, pretty simple- Drake Magazine Online • View topic - Parr Smoltage

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:18 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future

Another really good material for stingers is the Gel line for backing (50#).
Is more flexy and low memory, if folded in the box.

Bigfly
Old 08-15-2009, 09:35 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

This is going to get me alot of flack, but i use size 8 treble hooks for my stingers on large streamers(5"-7" in length). I dont miss many hits, and i dont think it hurts the fish any worse than a single hook. Just remember to bend the barbs down.

I use 30 pound spiderwire(10 pound diameter) to attach the stinger hook. If you do decide to use a braided line make sure to be liberal with the super glue.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:54 PM

Flack, Flack, Flack, .............Frack!

Bigfly
Old 08-17-2009, 01:12 PM

And more flack? I hope you'll try tight line technique, instead of technology. I don't land all of my fish, and that is OK. If I caught everything it wouldn't be fishing!

Bigfly
Old 08-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTskibum View Post
This is going to get me alot of flack, but i use size 8 treble hooks for my stingers on large streamers(5"-7" in length). I dont miss many hits, and i dont think it hurts the fish any worse than a single hook. Just remember to bend the barbs down.

I use 30 pound spiderwire(10 pound diameter) to attach the stinger hook. If you do decide to use a braided line make sure to be liberal with the super glue.

I use a set up similar to this on pike flies but I use a #8 double hook on 20lb maxima and stash the tandem hook in the long saddle hackle on McNally Magnums.

I do not release pike. When fishing for any species that you intend to release even a large streamer hook can be quite damaging so I would hope to discourage you from using treble hooks in any application at all. Here in Alaska I catch many salmon and sea run rainbow trout using single salmon and typical streamer hooks. When fishing kings I will use large double salmon hooks but then I do not release many kings, only the hens.

With that said, are you releasing or retaining? That makes a difference.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-17-2009, 05:32 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I use a set up similar to this on pike flies but I use a #8 double hook on 20lb maxima and stash the tandem hook in the long saddle hackle on McNally Magnums.

I do not release pike. When fishing for any species that you intend to release even a large streamer hook can be quite damaging so I would hope to discourage you from using treble hooks in any application at all. Here in Alaska I catch many salmon and sea run rainbow trout using single salmon and typical streamer hooks. When fishing kings I will use large double salmon hooks but then I do not release many kings, only the hens.

With that said, are you releasing or retaining? That makes a difference.
Releasing when fishing for trout, keeping when fishing for walleye.

I spin fish too, 90% of the time i have no trouble getting a treble hook out of fishes mouth quickly. Some fish do die, but some fish would die if i only used a single hook stinger as well. If a trout is obviously going not going to make it i will keep it.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:56 PM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about

One point about stinger hooks - if you might catch the fish of a lifetime, make certain the stinger hook does not extend past the wing of the fly, or is farther from the eye of the primary hook than 6 inches. Those are IGFA fly fishing rules. Treble hooks are not permitted on flies, either as a primary or a secondary hook, under IGFA rules. If you're just fishing for food or fun, no sweat.

For more info on the International Game Fish Association visit www.igfa.org. You can see the rules, but not the records, without a membership.

For a summary, see my article from American Angler ("For the Record") at www.flatslander.com

Craig Phillips
FlatsLander Guide Service

IGFA International Representative