The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Noiso
  • 1 Post By siskiyoublues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 10:37 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice
Default Pics of NorCal trip.

We are having a great time up here and unfortunately we have to go home today . One more fishing session and the McCloud flea market perhaps. Some nice big bugs up here and some nice fish. I thought I'd share some pics with you all.

Click the image to open in full size.

I think this is a McCloud Redband/Rainbow hybrid.

milt spawn likes this.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 06-03-2012, 11:25 AM

bigtel is a jewel in the roughbigtel is a jewel in the roughbigtel is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Pics of NorCal trip.

lovely pics great scenery

terry
Old 06-03-2012, 01:22 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome. I love the color on that Golden Stonefly on the orange towel.

Dennis
Old 06-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great pics,thanks for sharingFirst time I see a golden stonefly...
Old 06-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Beautiful,

That is a very big stonefly!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-04-2012, 08:49 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Sweet! Did you make it to the lower Mac?

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:02 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great photos, thanks for sharing. I really liked the stonefly pics and that trout had some awesome colors, congrats!

Old 06-04-2012, 12:55 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiyoublues View Post
Sweet! Did you make it to the lower Mac?
Hey Siski - while my gal has a nice tight loop (nicer looking cast than mine) her water reading and line mending/line control/drift control skills are still developing. The Upper Sac was giving her trouble with the high flows and tricky drifts. The Upper Mac was great for her, with the lower flows, easier drifts and sillier fish. She really doesn't care for too much advice and has stated that she has just as much fun getting skunked so I am willing to bite my lip and let her learn on her own. I couldn't ask for more in a fishing partner anyway.

A friendly fellow customer at Ted Fay Fly Shop named John was giving us some fly choice advice and he asked,"How did you get your wife into fly fishing?" she got a big kick out of that.

So the easier nature of the Upper Mac, the fact that we had a non-fishing, non-outdoorsman friend along (an encounter with a McCloud rattler might have made it necessary to carry a freshly fainted person back to the car) and we were in a borrowed car (an encounter with the dirt road leading to the lower could have been hard on the borrowed sedan) kept us away from the Lo-Mac. Plus I've never visited the upper with its charming crowds and beautiful views! We had a great time.

My gal got some good pics of the golden stones and salmon flies too. I especially like the photo essay or triptych, if you will, that I, in my mind have entitled,"The deconstruction of a stone fly."

"The deconstruction of a stone fly."

part 1 The storming swarm

part 2 Off with his head!

part 3 And away we go (mission accomplished)

and then they reassembled him upon the next boulder
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 06-04-2012, 10:50 PM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough

I love the McCloud and Pit rivers. Two of my favorite streams in NorCal. There is some great fishing up there. I caught my rainbow on a fly on the Pitt in 1980. Looks like a great trip.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 06-04-2012, 11:08 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiso View Post
Hey Siski - while my gal has a nice tight loop (nicer looking cast than mine) her water reading and line mending/line control/drift control skills are still developing. The Upper Sac was giving her trouble with the high flows and tricky drifts. The Upper Mac was great for her, with the lower flows, easier drifts and sillier fish. She really doesn't care for too much advice and has stated that she has just as much fun getting skunked so I am willing to bite my lip and let her learn on her own. I couldn't ask for more in a fishing partner anyway.

A friendly fellow customer at Ted Fay Fly Shop named John was giving us some fly choice advice and he asked,"How did you get your wife into fly fishing?" she got a big kick out of that.

So the easier nature of the Upper Mac, the fact that we had a non-fishing, non-outdoorsman friend along (an encounter with a McCloud rattler might have made it necessary to carry a freshly fainted person back to the car) and we were in a borrowed car (an encounter with the dirt road leading to the lower could have been hard on the borrowed sedan) kept us away from the Lo-Mac. Plus I've never visited the upper with its charming crowds and beautiful views! We had a great time.

Hey I don't blame you! And if it's the John I'm thinking (local guide and friend) I can count the number of guys who know that water better on half a hand so very cool.
Dig all the pictures. Let me know the next time you're coming back up. Sooner then later I hope!
Noiso likes this.

Steelheader's Anonymous.