The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2007, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default chatbox.......

On some other forums that I visit(not flyfishing), they have a "chatbox" or "chat rooms" where members can have live conversations.

May be a lot of fun to have something like that here and get the place a hoppin.

Just wonderin.....

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-13-2007, 01:35 PM

steve l. johnson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: chatbox.......

Feller's I've got one for you now...Since I love to cast distance where can I find a 6 wt. floating fly-line with a heavy belly, thats 150 ft. long and some good green color(not optic green, more of a camo color).
Some-one told me about Scientific Angler's could run a triangle taper with extra long running line 150 ft. long but it would be 2 months down the road.
Now you ask what would I do with such a line, well throw it and fish with it and have all kinds of good fun with it...but I think a one-piece line would be better and the triangle-taper would give me the weight I need to really blast the line into orbit.
Any leads to where I could purchase such a line soon. (fly-line manufacturers on the internet don't offer much help. Royal Wulff Products has been the most help.
Thank you
Steve L. Johnson
Old 12-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Darn!! I thought someone had an answer for the "Chatbox" question.

Steve,
I think most anyone would have a tough time casting 150' of line in a 6wt, if you want to throw and fish that much line maybe you should look into a shooting head floating line with 100' or so of running line.
Your going to have to put a new reel on that rod also, I think a reel with that much line (150' of flyline) on a 6wt would really make the combo unbalanced

What is it you want to chase with this set up?

You mentioned that you have been talking to the line companies, are they willing to make a "special run" and make just 1 line for you?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Steve,

Here are a couple of lines you might consider.

The RIO Skagit line. They are only 120' long and the lightest weight is 300 gr.

Click the image to open in full size.

The other is the RIO Stripped Bass Taper line. It is also 120' long.

Click the image to open in full size.

I think the best choice would be the Stripped Bass line. It is available in a 6wt line.

Frank
Old 12-13-2007, 03:57 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

150 ft. cortland braided mono and a shooting head preferably sinking on a 6wt. will cast like a dream to those distances...just make your own from other lines...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Sooooo I guess there is no interest in a chatbox?