The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2007, 05:18 AM

Motorhead is on a distinguished road
Default First time traveling.

I've been fly fishing now for about 15 years in New Hampshire and Maine. Recently I was presented with the opportunity to travel to Colorado this spring and fish there for a few days.

One thing that keeps wearing on my mind is traveling with gear. I have 3 6-7wt rods all that 'break in two' so to speak. I have one decent carrying case that carries two poles with reals side by side in hard shell plastic case. It's quite long at about 5 feet. I guess my question is, is that is it ok to check this as luggage? Should I tether it to any other luggage? I'll probably condense all my gear into my vest and stuff that into a large backpack with my waders boots and net. Then take another large duffel bag with warm clothes etc.

This is probably not as big of a deal that I'm making it out to be. Any suggestions or information anyone could impart to me would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:05 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First time traveling.

As my Forum name suggests, I have to fly to all the flyfishing I do, so I've been in the process of migrating to 4 & 5 piece rods for ease of carry-on, and I've carried on rod tubes as long as 4 feet (on SW Air) with no problem. Although I think you might run into difficulty in carrying on a 5 foot long case, I don't think you'll have any problem checking it as luggage. After all, skiers routinely check their ski carriers which are much longer than 5 feet.

It sounds like you're going to check your other gear rather than carry it on with you. That's probably a good idea, because there are a lot of flyfishing tools that may get you hung up in security if you try to carry them on (knives, scissors, etc.).

Hope this helps . . .
Old 12-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'd ship it via FedEx 3day air. They're perfect on over 98% of shipments. I don't think the airlines get anywhere that level.

Some airlines will let you carry on 2pc rods in tubes, but you'll have to do research as to whether yours is.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:22 PM

Motorhead is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much for the replies. Just what i was looking for.