The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 11:06 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default First day fly fishing!

Well as some know i bought my first fly rod a few weeks ago and i got it strung it yesterday. So today i went out to lake james in north carolina. I figured i would get use to the rod in the lake before i go hit the rivers. And boy did i have a good time!! I reeled in 7 fish now all of them were just perch but my gosh is a fly rod a blast to use! Its amazing to catch something on a fly and pull the line in! For sure am addicted now and cant wait to hit the streams and catch some trout!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-04-2012, 12:01 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First day fly fishing!

It's a great feeling isn't it? Catching fish the first time out is a bonus. It will be interesting to follow your progress, hope you'll keep us updated! milt.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:12 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Congrats! Your hooked! Great feeling on the fly. Never gets old. And if you catch any Longnose gar lete know what you did. Spent ten days in NC couldn't land one!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-04-2012, 05:30 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on your first day success! Now the learning begins, good luck.

Larry
Old 06-04-2012, 08:03 AM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys! And i for sure will keep yall posted. Next weekend i will be going on a 6 hour canoe ride with my gfs dad. I dont know how much i will get to use a fly because the water moves real quick but i will post pictures of what i catch.

And the boz funny story about the gar! In a family pond my gfs dad was fishing for bass and he said he was casting out and he looked down and there was a gar staring at him about 2 foot off shore! He said before he could do anything the fish was gone. Now a few weeks later there was a little boy fishing the pond and he caught the gar! But he thought it was a monster and beat it to death with a stick!:banghead: Hahaha.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:53 PM

Mnflyfish is a jewel in the roughMnflyfish is a jewel in the roughMnflyfish is a jewel in the rough

Congrats! now let the obsession....ahemmm...sorry....PASSION begin!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:04 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

yep, your hooked
Old 06-04-2012, 09:57 PM
joseph28

Click the image to open in full size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamwalker View Post
Thanks guys! And i for sure will keep yall posted. Next weekend i will be going on a 6 hour canoe ride with my gfs dad. I dont know how much i will get to use a fly because the water moves real quick but i will post pictures of what i catch.

And the boz funny story about the gar! In a family pond my gfs dad was fishing for bass and he said he was casting out and he looked down and there was a gar staring at him about 2 foot off shore! He said before he could do anything the fish was gone. Now a few weeks later there was a little boy fishing the pond and he caught the gar! But he thought it was a monster and beat it to death with a stick!:banghead: Hahaha.

It is amazing!
Old 06-04-2012, 11:22 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Congrats, nothing like feeling a decent bend in a fly rod, thats is what hooked me - it is so much cooler than anything I ever felt on a spinning rod.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:37 AM

I totally agree spinning dosnt come close to my fly rod now haha! Im heading out early with a buddy before our college classes to do some fly fishing. If i catch something good ill take some pictures.