The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 12:55 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default What would you do?

Here's the story:

I have about a handful of this dark olive woo pilings that I picked off one of my old US Army blankets. I was going to throw it away, asI usually do after pulling the blanket out of the washer when it occurred to me that I ought to be able to use this stuff to tie a fly or two.

Now, I know from experience that once you get wool wet, it tends to stay wet for quite some time, so dry flies are probably out of the question. And I could just tie some real wooly buggers or some wooly leeches. But I thought I'd turn the question over to some of the more experienced tiers out there and ask, what kind of fly would you guys tie?
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 06-04-2012, 01:14 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do?

Wooly Grubber sub surface bass flies, they're great in SW desert winters. In government issue olive, or Sharpie black. milt.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:59 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Chop some a little, mix it with the longer stuff and dub Hare's ears.
Or
Spread it out, spray it with waterproof and dub dry flys.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 06-06-2012, 12:38 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
Chop some a little, mix it with the longer stuff and dub Hare's ears.
Or
Spread it out, spray it with waterproof and dub dry flys.
Thought of the hare's ear thing, and I'll probably do that. The other idea about spraying with scotchguard or something sounds interesting. Might be on to something there. Thanks.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 06-06-2012, 12:51 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

olive mohair leech. red head.

casey

ARFE