Great day on Colorado's Blue River

cptxkirk

Reaction score
Your giving me the shakes as I anxiously await my guided trip on the Blue in August. AWESOME photos!

vitesse304

Reaction score
FYI, they aren't all stocked!

Still a few "natural" guys hanging out in there, and all browns are naturally reproducing.

Look for the fishies with their adipose fin intact.

Great job out there! Looks like you've got it figured out! I'm assuming you stocked up on "the one" fly. :cool:

bassguitarplayer

Reaction score
FYI, they aren't all stocked!

Still a few "natural" guys hanging out in there, and all browns are naturally reproducing.

Look for the fishies with their adipose fin intact.

Great job out there! Looks like you've got it figured out! I'm assuming you stocked up on "the one" fly. :cool:
I sure did!! They took them all too! Had to find some other flies that worked. They seemed to like the blood worms.

Thanks again for showing me what's what out there. I had a blast.

Noiso

Reaction score
Awesome looking fish - so colorful for hatchery trout.

By the by, it is pretty easy to do this and also easier for the forum to view:

Also think about utilizing the photo section here on the forum. I noticed that photobucket tends to limit your bandwidth and make the photos unavailable sometimes. I use my facebook page and just hotlink them from there. (which is what I did with your photobucket photos)
-Just right click your photo
-Left click on to select "copy image location"
-Go to your post and left click on the insert image icon (the little square with the mountain, sun and a yellow sky)
-Right click in the text field
-Left click on paste
-Left click "OK"

or you could just paste the photos address and manually type IMG within these brackets [] on the left of the address and /IMG within the brackets to the right.

oh yeah - and I play bass too my brother!

bassguitarplayer

Reaction score
Awesome looking fish - so colorful for hatchery trout.

By the by, it is pretty easy to do this and also easier for the forum to view:

Also think about utilizing the photo section here on the forum. I noticed that photobucket tends to limit your bandwidth and make the photos unavailable sometimes. I use my facebook page and just hotlink them from there. (which is what I did with your photobucket photos)
-Just right click your photo
-Left click on to select "copy image location"
-Go to your post and left click on the insert image icon (the little square with the mountain, sun and a yellow sky)
-Right click in the text field
-Left click on paste
-Left click "OK"

or you could just paste the photos address and manually type IMG within these brackets [] on the left of the address and /IMG within the brackets to the right.

oh yeah - and I play bass too my brother!
Oh THAT'S how you do that!!! Man, I spent forever trying to get those photos to show up on the post. Thanks for telling me how to do that.

What kind of bass do you play?

Noiso

Reaction score
Oh THAT'S how you do that!!! Man, I spent forever trying to get those photos to show up on the post. Thanks for telling me how to do that.
No problem sir! That is what the forum is for after all - and believe me, I need all the help I can get.

What kind of bass do you play?
My first bass was a Kramer, but after trying many brands through the years I found that the bass that suits me best sound wise and for playability is a Fender Precision. I had a '73 USA and a kick-@$$ MIJ reissue of a '62. I played them through a '66 Ampeg portaflex b-15n.

bassguitarplayer

Reaction score
No problem sir! That is what the forum is for after all - and believe me, I need all the help I can get.

My first bass was a Kramer, but after trying many brands through the years I found that the bass that suits me best sound wise and for playability is a Fender Precision. I had a '73 USA and a kick-@$$ MIJ reissue of a '62. I played them through a '66 Ampeg portaflex b-15n.
NICE!!! I really want a vintage Ampeg B15. Nothing like it in the world.
I have a 69 Pbass (LOVE that bass), a custom-built Carl Thompson COPY (I wish I could get a real CT), a 92 Carvin I never play, a couple Ibanez basses and a home build bass that sounds awesome but is so heavy that it puts my shoulder to sleep. So I mainly use it for recording. I've got an Ampeg B200-R, a Gallien Kruger 1001RB-III with an old SWR 4x10 (but I'd love to replace that with and Ampeg rig) and a little Mark Bass rig that I take to smaller gigs.

How long have you been playing?
I used to tour a lot that's why I have so much gear. HAHA.

Noiso

Reaction score
bassplayer - I sent you a reply via private message since we are not talking fishing!
On a fishing related topic there's this:

I am getting a little verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic. Rusty Spinners neither rust nor spin. Discuss.

vitesse304

Reaction score
Your giving me the shakes as I anxiously await my guided trip on the Blue in August. AWESOME photos!
You don't need a guide to fish in town. Don't waste your money if all he's going to do is show you the stretch from the dam down to the outlet malls. Heck, I'll show you around town in exchange for a big mac, fries and a large coke!

Have him take you up north and fish between Silverthorne and Green Mountain. Make sure he takes you to "shale hole". If he doesn't know where that is, get a new guide. :D

Lots of good water north of town, but no bruisers like there are behind the outlet malls. Even though the DOW report shows a decline in the fishery north of town, it's still good fishing and it's not as crowded as in town and it's also a more natural experience.

Check out the link for some info about the fishery and you can get a good idea of spots to fish from the map as well.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCol...mmaries/Northwest/BlueRiverinSilverthorne.pdf

bassguitarplayer

Reaction score
You don't need a guide to fish in town. Don't waste your money if all he's going to do is show you the stretch from the dam down to the outlet malls. Heck, I'll show you around town in exchange for a big mac, fries and a large coke!

Have him take you up north and fish between Silverthorne and Green Mountain. Make sure he takes you to "shale hole". If he doesn't know where that is, get a new guide. :D

Lots of good water north of town, but no bruisers like there are behind the outlet malls. Even though the DOW report shows a decline in the fishery north of town, it's still good fishing and it's not as crowded as in town and it's also a more natural experience.

Check out the link for some info about the fishery and you can get a good idea of spots to fish from the map as well.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCol...mmaries/Northwest/BlueRiverinSilverthorne.pdf
The shale hole? I must know where this is!!!

vitesse304

Reaction score
The shale hole? I must know where this is!!!
It's a good "guide" spot. The fishing is a little technical, but there's no road noise, lots of eager fish, and it's a spot that not a lot of people know about.

I'll do you one better...I'll take you on the private stretch below GM and we can catch these...

bassguitarplayer

Reaction score
It's a good "guide" spot. The fishing is a little technical, but there's no road noise, lots of eager fish, and it's a spot that not a lot of people know about.

I'll do you one better...I'll take you on the private stretch below GM and we can catch these...

Holy S*** that's a HUGE fish!!

Dude, you've gotta show me that spot!! When are you free again? Hahaha

cptxkirk

Reaction score

If all you want is a big mac and fries, I can make that happen. I will be staying in Dillon for a week at the beginning of August, and am booking the guided trip more for my soon to be father in law. One of those bonding moment things between him and I. He isn't much of a fisherman but he tries. So I would like to get him on fish, as well as have someone help him with everything needed.

As for the remaining time I am spending in Dillon. If you want a big mac, some fries, maybe a six pack, I can make that happen. Just tell me where to meet you and what to have! LOL

vitesse304

Reaction score
I wouldn't say I'm a master! I've just spent lots of time on that river and have it somewhat figured out.

Honestly, it didn't fish this good all winter. Last winter it fished much better, but by my account, and by DOW's account, it's a declining fishery and it's tough to pin down why...

In any case, it's fishing good now since DOW introduced the brood stock, and since it's a catch and release river with a good amount of bugs, they should pack on the pounds and stick around for quite a while!

Unless the low flows, warmer temps or catch mortality hits these guys hard, it should fish good all summer.

@cptxkirk
If I'm able to get up the hill while you're in town, I'd be happy to show you around the river! Also, if you're up for exploring yourself, check out the Blue around Breck and at the inlet of Dillon.

Or, as an alternative to a guided trip on the Blue, do a float trip on the Colorado. If you've never floated before, it's a great experience!