The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 09:24 PM

2012185 is on a distinguished road
Default Murky Rivers

So it has been real rainey and miserable these past few days. But tonight there was a break in the weather so I headed down to the river. Obviously the water was deeper, faster, wider and murkier. Being new I was not sure how to fish this type of water. Any advice on it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:29 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Murky Rivers

Big, flashy streamers. Vary your retrieves between fast and slow and find out what the fish want. Generally I do well with a medium retrieve with BIG streamers when the water gets high. Also, find those breaks from the current. Anywhere that will give the fish a respite from the current is prime to hold fish.

What kind of fish are you targettng?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:45 PM

2012185 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
Big, flashy streamers. Vary your retrieves between fast and slow and find out what the fish want. Generally I do well with a medium retrieve with BIG streamers when the water gets high. Also, find those breaks from the current. Anywhere that will give the fish a respite from the current is prime to hold fish.

What kind of fish are you targettng?
Well I've really been trying to get some of the stocked rainbows but have no luck at all. So mostly I've been catching perch, bass, and panfish.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

We had a similar post just a while back and although I replied on it I couldn't tell you how to find that thread. It is for that reason that i sometimes include some comments regarding posts on my blog page here. While what I wrote onto the blog is only a generalization it may be of some use to you. This link; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...reels/feed.rss will take you to the piece, it is the second entry down so you can either scroll or read & view your way to it. The title is 'Fishing Streamers in Less Than Perfect Conditions'..

Hope it helps a little,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-05-2012, 09:19 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

You could also seek clearer water. Check the tributaries of the river that is running high, fast and murky and they might be less so. Moving around seems to never be a bad idea in this sport.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach