The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 08:32 PM

kjd is on a distinguished road
Default Minnow Identity

I live in northern Alberta. Recently a creek behind my house has been overrun by minnows. It never has had fish before. I have heard they are rainbow brown hybrids but I have also heard they are suckers. What do you all think?Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:35 PM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Minnow Identity

they are definitely not rainbow-brown hybrids, because such a thing does not exist. they don't look like suckers either. give me some time and i'll find an answer to what they really are
Old 06-05-2012, 08:55 PM

Thank you!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:19 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

I would say it is some type of dace. Hard to see the mouth, but look up longnose dace on google.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:49 PM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

I'm going with Eastern Blacknose Dace. I'd say I'm about 95% sure.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:10 PM

Thanks all!
Old 06-06-2012, 04:11 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I won't argue against Dace, a good way to know if you are looking at any member of the trout / salmon family is to look for the presence of the adipose fin, no adipose fin = no trout.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-06-2012, 08:05 AM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

I am thinking its a Pearl Dace - hard to tell for sure just like everyone else, but the black nose daces' lateral line extends through they eye and to the nose. It doesn't appear to happen in this case.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:30 PM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, I'm revising my answer to go with pearl dace as well. Good work, ghocevar.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This is a classic example of when it is good to stick with a generalization I have seen fish just like that pictured but failed to try identification of them. It was the fact that I didn't know the difference between the various sub species of dace that I just said 'Dace' Honestly I didn't know there was a Pearl Dace, so through the thread and the research of Greg and others I've learned something here

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;