The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 10:52 AM

john andrejcik is on a distinguished road
Default Dry Fly Drier

Help. I recently lost a dry fly fishing accessory that I didn't want to lose. Now comes the hard part, finding it to purchase. I've looked everywhere on the Internet, every fishing store I know and can't seem to find it, unless it is not manufactured anymore. If it isn't, someone out there should manufacture it soon to make some real money, cause it works very well, and I'll be the first purchaser of about three or four of them. It is a plastic bottle-type gadget that hooks to the outside of your fishing vest. It has two outer plastic walls that spin freely on each other as to open windows in the sides so that you can put drowned dry flies inside, hooked on little rubber sleeves around the middle post inside. Then you just spin the outer plastic walls again to close the windows. The flies stay inside the bottle even if they come loose from the rubber gaskets. Hence, you don't lose any flies, like you do from a fly patch. This bottle is about the size of a large pill bottle, weighs next to nothing, and REALLY does its job. I've searched high and low for it on all the major websites, Orvis, Fishpod, Umpqua, etc., etc., etc. and haven't seen hide, nor hair of it anywhere. If anyone has any good information where I can find it, I'd be most appreciative. I don't want anymore flypatches to lose flies off of. This bottle works. Thanks and Tight Lines. Bowbuster
Old 06-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Dry Fly Drier

I remember the gizmo's you are describing. I never had one and can't place how long ago they were sold but I'll guess mid 1980's. Try this guy, ask him if he knows who made and marketed them. It's the best I can do........... dean@tackletreasures.com Also, send a PM to this member here, he knows just about anything you can ask; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...o=newpm&u=3578

Welcome to our forum,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-08-2012, 02:02 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dry Fly Drier

Can't help with the specific item you describe, but I built a similar item for the same reason: All my flys are debarbed so patches lose flys. Here's what I did: I found a soft plastic box 2"X 11/2" X 1/2". The lid has a molded hinge on the short side. I cut holes on the back to allow a big safety pin to pass thru and epoxied it flat to the inside of the box with the catch and spring on the outside of the box. I glued a flat sheet magnet to the inside of the bottom of the box. I drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom, sides and lid of the box. I put a couple of tight fitting rubber bands around it to keep it closed. It's safety pinned to the upper left side of my vest with the hinge down.
When I'm done with a fly, I open the box with my left hand, put the fly in with my right and let it close on the tippet, then clip the tippet out side the box. The fly is secured in a breathable container.
Occasionally, I'll end up with a wet bugger on top of a small dry to the detriment of the dry but this is seldom a problem. I'd post a pic but I'm still having issues with photobucket.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey